Hot Pink Fades?!

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 18 Sep 2011 , 4:30am by sweettreat101

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 4

I keep trying to get hot pink and it keeps fading to medium pink! I even airbrushed a hot pink tier (pink airbrush over as deep pink fondant as I could get) this weekend and it looked great...by the next day it looked back to medium pink. I've been mostly using Americolor electric pink. I can get it a deeper color if I add deep pink and fuschia, but then the fuschia adds a violet hue to the pink, which I really do not want (did that for another cake and it gave me a nice deep pink but by the next day it looked way too purple.)

I'm using FondX....

Any ideas?

3 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 4

Nearly every pink colorant will fade when exposed to light.

I've had less fading with pre-colored pinks like FondX and Fondarific/Duff's.

When I add coloring to white, I make my basic pink using ChefMaster's No Fade Pink and then add touches of blue or orange to change the shade. I don't see much fade when I do it this way.

Rae

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Nearly every pink colorant will fade when exposed to light.

I've had less fading with pre-colored pinks like FondX and Fondarific/Duff's.

When I add coloring to white, I make my basic pink using ChefMaster's No Fade Pink and then add touches of blue or orange to change the shade. I don't see much fade when I do it this way.

Rae

I haven't heard of no-fade pink...hm.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 4:30am
post #4 of 4

The funny thing is I have had the best luck getting a hot pink color using Americolor soft pink. I tried deep pink and I didn't like how it turned out. I have never had the color fade yet at least. You might give it a shot. I could have gone darker but we were trying to match an invitation. http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1686076

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%