Black Icing

Decorating By Cupcations Updated 16 Sep 2011 , 2:14pm by jules5000

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 4:12am
post #1 of 7

So I just finished making cupcakes for a birthday. Theme is black & gold. The cupcakes look beautiful!!

But I'm concerened about one thing... The icing!!
Its mostly a swirl with a gold flower or two on top... But man that icing is BLACK!!!
I tasted a very small amount the taste is ok.. My mouth turned black, normal but I also had this dry after taste feeling, is that normal?? I did use a lot of Americolor almost the whole bottle.
Health wise is it ok to eat that much food coloring??
I did warn her that they will have black teeth lol but she really didnt seem to care icon_confused.gif

I have to give them to her tomorrow... Please help any black icing experts out there? icon_smile.gif

TIA thumbs_up.gif

6 replies
jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 4:19am
post #2 of 7

You have done all you can do. I don't know that I would describe the taste as dry, but I do think that when ever you have to use a lot of coloring to attempt to get the shade you want it is not going to be w/o some tastes of it's own. Red is the same way. It has a different kind of taste to it. Even the No-taste Red from Wilton has a certain taste to it when you use a lot of it. You warned her and she is ok with it. End of story. Worry no more.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 7:30am
post #3 of 7

I cover my cakes with whith buttercream, refrigerate, and skim coat the dark color on top of the white. But I have no idea how to do that on a cupcake.

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 10:28am
post #4 of 7

[quote="Cupcations"]So I just finished making cupcakes for a birthday. Theme is black & gold. The cupcakes look beautiful!!

But I'm concerened about one thing... The icing!!

Did you start with chocolate icing? Needs less black color. If the client doesn't care about the taste and black teeth, then no problem for you.

Valkstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valkstar Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 11:45am
post #5 of 7

Just as an aside, if I were you I'd get her to sign something to confirm that she knows the colouring will cause mouths and teeth etc. to turn black. You don't want her guests complaining afterwards about you.

ToTheMax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ToTheMax Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 12:50pm
post #6 of 7

If they don't have a problem. I start with chocolate icing. It makes it so much easier to get black, taste good and uses less color.
I add the dutch proccessed choc. powder to my basic buttercream. It makes a darker color and is much richer tasting.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 2:14pm
post #7 of 7

to the max: I don't know why I don't remember that more often. It would definitely be eaiser on me. thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%