Fondant Seams?

Decorating By Panel7124 Updated 17 Sep 2011 , 11:22pm by Panel7124

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 7:15am
post #1 of 6

This is what I found on a website of a famous bakery in my area. They do wedding cakes (this is one found in their photogallery) and are very pricey. Is it fondant?? (I think so, but....)

http://s1183.photobucket.com/albums/x463/Panel7124/?action=view¤t=Fondantcakeseams1.jpg

5 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 6

Looks like fondant to me. It looks as though they've rolled that fondant VERY thin...I roll mine to about 3-4mm and the cake never shows through the fondant like it does in those pictures. You can see that they've filled the cake then put fondant straight over the top, without first applying layer of ganache/buttercream over the whole cake. And yes, those do look like seams...maybe because they had difficulty handling fondant rolled so thin in a big enough piece to cover the whole cake at once?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 6

It looks like very thin fondant to me.

I will say that if I saw that cake as an example of someone's work, I would NOT order from them.

That is NOT proper work process and is NOT the way a fondant covered cake should look--anywhere, anytime, anyhow. Very unprofessional and totally unacceptable.

Rae

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 6

Holy omg....that's awful.

Torimomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torimomma Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 11:52am
post #5 of 6

I was thinking the same thing. The design is pretty but I'd be mad as h@#* if that showed up at my wedding.

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks to everybody for your opinions. I also thought it was thin fondant, but was shocked to see a horrible work like that - cover half of the cake and then another?? I have never seen it before. And they should be professionals... icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%