Where Did Everybody Go?

Lounge By cakelady2266 Updated 30 Sep 2011 , 4:17am by cakelady2266

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 17

I know this sounds odd but I've noticed there aren't as many people on CC as usual. The online numbers at any given time use to be in the thousands, but not for a while. Is everybody just busy or is something else going on? Just curious.

16 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 17

I have moods where I get tired of some of the BS and bickering that is posted, so there are days when I visit the boards less. I also don't often visit on the weekends/evenings since I don't have internet access except on my phone and that is a PIA with this site.

And there are times when you can only answer the same question so many times before you have to step back and regroup. icon_wink.gif

It is also the beginning of school years for people with kids, so they may be busy trying to get back into that routine. You have football and other sports going on as well.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 17

I miss a lot of familiar names, too...Tesso, Doug, and others.
Not sure what's going on.

cakelady2266 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 17

I guess I noticed it more after the kids went back to school. All summer long the phones were ringing off the hook shortly after daylight with cake orders and the day school started it was like a tomb here. Everybody must have summer birthdays. Plus my computer nazi sons don't allow me much computer time when they are home. So I have had a lot of CC trolling time, when I'm not eating bonbons and doing my nails. It just felt like some of the usual crew had gone missing.

And something else I find interesting is there is more non members than members online a lot of the time. I think my customers are on here more than me.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 17

With message boards you will find a change up of people every now and then. There are some that stick around for a long run, but there are others that get busy with life and end up moving on to other things, or people that stop doing cakes, or maybe people that get really into their cake business and don't have time to post.

There are people that were big posters when I first joined years ago, that are no longer around.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 17

I've been absent for about a year now. My husband had a bad car wreck Sept 2 a year ago. After an extended stay and numerous Staff infections it looks like things are improving. He's finally able to walk short distances with a walker, we're still at the baby steps stage. With hospitals and rehab and Dr. appointments I couldn't commit to a project I might not be able to do. I'd also like to give a big thanks to Pat Hamilton of Cullman Al for keeping my customers happy. Hope to be back at caking by next year, I've missed CC.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 10:15pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady2266

I guess I noticed it more after the kids went back to school. All summer long the phones were ringing off the hook shortly after daylight with cake orders and the day school started it was like a tomb here. Everybody must have summer birthdays. Plus my computer nazi sons don't allow me much computer time when they are hom

So I have had a lot of CC trolling time, when I'm not eating bonbons and doing my nails. .Oh thats priceless - Blue laughs thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

It just felt like some of the usual crew had gone missing.

And something else I find interesting is there is more non members than members online a lot of the time.

I think my customers are on here more than me..again Blue laughs..

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 1:14am
post #8 of 17

I've noticed it too. Our business seemed to drop off at the beginning of September too. We are getting a fair amount of calls and inquiries for October and November, but not nearly as many jobs for September itself. I chalked it up to school starting too.

cakelady2266 Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 1:06am
post #9 of 17

zdebssweetsj.... glad to have you back. Sorry to hear about the wreck but it's great that your husband is doing better, I hope he continues to improve. I see we're practical neighbors.

Bluehue...I tried eating my bonbons while typing but I found myself having to lick the keyboard a lot.

LoveMeSomeCake615.... September is slow on my book but October is gonna kick my old butt. So I'm trying to get my trolling in while I can.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 12:30am
post #10 of 17

Hi I'm back as well. Been missing for almost a year but life has been crazy here for me. Things are just starting to look better and I'm back to visit with my old friends. I wrote a post in the lounge explaining what is going on in my life but I'm glad to see all of you are still here.

navyman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navyman Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 8:06pm
post #11 of 17

For the past 2 years I have been starring at a computer screen 10 hours a day 5-6 days a week developing industrial maintenance training courses. I had almost forgot CC. I do miss visiting with others that hold the love of cake decorating as much as I do. I have been traveling so much, I haven't had the time to get any icing on my finger tips either. I am back in Texas now, so I will have to break out the tips and decorate a cake for my fellow works. Especially with all the holidays coming up in he near future.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 12:16am
post #12 of 17

As you can see I joined back in 04 but I was busy with my new job at the time (graduated from college late 2003) and wasn't really into caking as much as before I went off to school. I didn't have a lot of time to do cakes when I was in college so I took a very long break.

I never had the internet in high school. I even did all my typing on a typewriter! When I finally came home from college we got the internet and then I joined CC. icon_smile.gif

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 12:32pm
post #13 of 17

Its busy season for me with weddings so I just don't have time. I used to spend about an hour a day just trolling through the forums, now I just pop in once or twice a week for a quick skim... see ya'll more in November!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 11:09pm
post #14 of 17

I had to leave because of the virus CC gave my computer. Get it cleaned out, come on, and get infected again.
Several others told me the same thing.
Whatever caused it seems to be gone now, so I'm slowly coming back to post.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 11:25pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

I had to leave because of the virus CC gave my computer. Get it cleaned out, come on, and get infected again.
Several others told me the same thing.
Whatever caused it seems to be gone now, so I'm slowly coming back to post.

I'm afraid it's not gone entirely. I've been getting warnings from my Norton Security the past few days...if I clear my cache/cookies it seems to clear it up for a few hours.

I only get these security warnings when I'm on this site. icon_confused.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 2:06am
post #16 of 17

Same reasons several people already mentioned. I had the malware virus from here twice and had to have my computer completely reloaded so I didn't come out for a long time. Then, it seemed like every time I came here , there was some great drama going on and I don't do drama. I can only answer the same questions so many times. Besides, I'm fulltime with my cake business and in the process of opening our own storefront with a retail side also. Spending every night for 2 months on my business plan and now pushing hard to get open by Nov. 1 doesn't leave much time for CC. Lot's of people that used to be on here haven't posted in ages.

cakelady2266 Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 4:17am
post #17 of 17

Well despite such a low turn out on here from time to time it's still good that most squeeze in a little CC time. Trolling and a cup of coffee what a way to start out the morning.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%