Edible Image Printer Problem...help!!!

Decorating By stlcakelady Updated 15 Sep 2011 , 10:42am by victoria7310

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 10

I am new to edible image printing. I bought a Canon IP3600 and have some color adjustment problems. There's no clogging going on. I just can't seem to print anything in a gray tone. Everytime I print, the color is very blue. I'm not sure which way to adjust the colors to get more gray instead. Any ideas?

9 replies
pettmybunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pettmybunny Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 10

I always have to adjust mine too, and go through 3 or 4 sheets (of regular paper) before I get the colors adjusted right. When you click on properties on your print screen, then click manual settings. If you're too blue, take that slider bar, and move it towards the opposite color. Then, I print a test picture on regular paper. If it's not right, then I adjust again. I know I'm wasting tons of ink, but I haven't figured out any other way to do it yet.

I've got two different brands of ink I'm using right now--Tastyfotoart ink (they were not helpful with any issues I had) and ink from icingimages (who were very very helpful!!! I'll use them forever, now). I'm hoping that once I switch out all my colors and use the same brand, that I won't have to make these adjustments.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcakelady

I am new to edible image printing. I bought a Canon IP3600 and have some color adjustment problems. There's no clogging going on. I just can't seem to print anything in a gray tone. Everytime I print, the color is very blue. I'm not sure which way to adjust the colors to get more gray instead. Any ideas?

Hi there I have this exact printer and had problems on and off for some time. I did find although it didn't seem clogged some colours were coming through more than others. Have you tried taking the cartridges out and checking that the top of the sponge in the cartridge is raised enough. sometimes they are not to the top and you need a pin to pick it out. I also flush the cartridge holder out. I was told by the company i bought from (with the edible inks) to soak the holder in hot water for 10 mins then use a syringe to pump water through it. It does work believe it or not! I know it seems scary putting it in water but its the only think I found would clear it to using all colours, HTH icon_biggrin.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcakelady

Hi there I have this exact printer and had problems on and off for some time. I did find although it didn't seem clogged some colours were coming through more than others. Have you tried taking the cartridges out and checking that the top of the sponge in the cartridge is raised enough. sometimes they are not to the top and you need a pin to pick it out. I also flush the cartridge holder out. I was told by the company i bought from (with the edible inks) to soak the holder in hot water for 10 mins then use a syringe to pump water through it. It does work believe it or not! I know it seems scary putting it in water but its the only think I found would clear it to using all colours, HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Jealena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jealena Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 10

When you print with the edible ink do you use wafer paper? Or is there another paper you would use? Thanks, just curious, keep thinking about doing this but have not gone ahead and bought a printer yet so I always read to see what others are doing with it or problems with it....Thanks again...

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 10

Ask Debbie in the icingimages fourm here. She can really help!!

Michael

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 10:34pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for all the replies...for some reason I wasn't alerted to them in my email. I am using regular paper to check the color and when I finally tweaked it to the best of my ability, I printed it out on icing sheets.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 8:50am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jealena

When you print with the edible ink do you use wafer paper? Or is there another paper you would use? Thanks, just curious, keep thinking about doing this but have not gone ahead and bought a printer yet so I always read to see what others are doing with it or problems with it....Thanks again...

I use icing sheets not wafer paper it seems to work really well icon_smile.gif

LouisGean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LouisGean Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 9:05am
post #9 of 10

I suggest you replace the printer and then try

victoria7310 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
victoria7310 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 10:42am
post #10 of 10

I know your printer is new so you won't want to replace it but just wanted to say that I had this printer for a year and was plagued with clogging and colour correction problems. I hated having to use it as it would take ne hours to get a usable image. It died and I replaced it with a Canon IP4820 and ONG what a difference! The colours are much truer, more vibrant and less muddy looking and so far no clogging issues, even when not used for months. The print quality is also do much better. Not sure if it's all the printer or the different cartridge model but the difference is amazing, now I use it for all sorts of things. I use Kopykake carts/ink.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%