Hi Ratio Shortening

Baking By tabco Updated 22 Sep 2011 , 5:53pm by Sugar_Art_Cakery

tabco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabco Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 7

What brand of high ratio shorting do you use and where do you buy it? Thank you!

6 replies
Mamasan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamasan Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 7

Several people have said to try Gordon Food Service. I've gone to three and nobody has it.

If you find out, let us know. Thanks!

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 7

I use Wesson Quik Blend, I like it better than Sweetex and it's about 1/2 the cost. It comes is 50lb boxes and I get it at a Halsey Foods Service locally. You could probably Google it and see if you can find a supplier nearby.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 4:22am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasan

Several people have said to try Gordon Food Service. I've gone to three and nobody has it.

GFS doesn't normally stock Sweetex in the store, but it can be special ordered at the Customer Service desk.

HTH

Mamasan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamasan Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 4:55am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Quote:

GFS doesn't normally stock Sweetex in the store, but it can be special ordered at the Customer Service desk.

HTH

I didn't know that, thanks so much! thumbs_up.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 5:12am
post #6 of 7
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Quote:

HTH

I didn't know that, thanks so much! thumbs_up.gif

You're welcome. icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaka1

I just got a 50 pound box of high ratio shortening from GFS in Illinois. I paid $59 with tax. It's a small box that weighs a ton so be careful getting it into the car. It comes in a cube shaped box that just has a blue plastic bag inside with the shortening in that. They don't carry it in the store, you need to call and they will order it for you. Takes a few weeks. The product number is 9529640-1-50# and it's called something like cake and icing shortening. You do not need to be a member to shop there.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=730474&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15

I'm not sure that chaka1 got Sweetex for only $59, but it's a starting point for GFS customer service at your location.

HTH

Sugar_Art_Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Art_Cakery Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 7

This might help some of you if your looking for access to Sweetex.

Before I could order through my business, I approached a local pizza place that also did some pastry stuff for their business. I asked them if they could order Sweetex for me and that I would throw them a couple of bucks for doing it. It wasn't an issue for them since it came in with their regular deliveries anyways.

A 50 pound block would cost me between $70 and $80. A lot cheaper than you can find it online anywhere else paying retail and shipping.

Just a thought for all of you paying retail prices plus shipping. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%