Buttercream Swirls

Decorating By DivaJai Updated 12 Sep 2011 , 5:36am by scp1127

DivaJai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivaJai Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 4:22am
post #1 of 10

Hey all. I love the bc recipe that I use but I am looking for a recipe that will allow nice fluffy swirls on cupcake tops but still taste like american bc. I've tried smbc and it tastes good but it's just too much work IMO... (yeah I'm lazy lol).

9 replies
carolinagirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinagirlcakes Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 4:27am
post #2 of 10

What type of "fluffy swirls" are you looking for? I find if I thin out my BC I can get a nice swirl on my cupcake while using the larger star tips.

DivaJai Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 4:32am
post #3 of 10

Carolinagirl I am looking for an effect similar to the cupcake shown at this blog

http://www.cakejournal.com/recipes/white-meringue-frosting. On my last cc's the bc had rough edge to them. Perhaps it was too thick?

carolinagirlcakes Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 4:35am
post #4 of 10

Hmmm that did not a pic of any cupcakes... but sounds like yes maybe to thick, try thining it out and see if that helps.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 4:37am
post #5 of 10

I couldn't find it in your link, but a tsp of very hot water works in every kind if frosting. Just add until it works for you. It will then stay in that shape as the water comes to room temp. I don't have to do this to European buttercreams, but on those, it's a trick to make them shine.

DivaJai Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 4:53am
post #6 of 10

Thanks for the advice guys. icon_smile.gif Here is a picture from the website just in-case someone knows of how to achieve this exact consistency ... no idea why it didn't work from the original link but isn't it purty icon_biggrin.gif .

carolinagirlcakes Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 4:55am
post #7 of 10

IMO, that looks like it is a whipped cream frosting and that is why it has that nice swirl to it. I still think you could get something like this from thinner BC and the right tip.

scp1127 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 5:00am
post #8 of 10

The water trick will work. Just practice on wax paper.

I do agree it looks like whipped cream, but you can use any kind.

Would you all agree that this is an oversized tip? That is all I use, so I'm not sure you can get this look with a smaller tip.

DivaJai Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 5:28am
post #9 of 10

Thank you both very much for your input. I use the large tips from bake it pretty. I am gonna whip up some bc tomorrow with a thinner consistency and see how it does. Wish me luck!

scp1127 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 5:36am
post #10 of 10

Good luck to you. And just go slow on the changes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%