Betty Crocker Cake Mix Reformulation!

Baking By Deniro Updated 24 Sep 2011 , 4:44am by crazye

Deniro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deniro Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 9

I just recently noticed Betty Crocker down sized their cake mix boxes from 18.25 oz. to 16.25 oz. Their "Facebook" page said something about a new reformulation process. I baked two cakes this morning using bake even strips around my pan, and the cake seemed to rise more than the normal, and baked longer than the normal, plus they cracked big time! I'm wondering if anybody else has noticed any changes? I'm also worried because there was a response from another baker on Facebook saying her cakes also cracked and fell apart after cooled. These cake are for a cake order this afternoon and I'm worried they will fall apart on me when I assemble the cake! Has anyone else tried the cake mixes out of the new smaller boxes and had complications or didn't see a difference at all?? Your help is greatly aprreciated.

8 replies
Deniro Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 9

I forgot to mention I used the white cake mixes icon_smile.gif

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 9

I made WAsc last night. It seemed fine to me.. I didn't notice a difference.
(I didn't even know to look.. lol)
They cake seemed to rise better than normal and was super perfectly flat with the bake strips... so maybe its a good thing?

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 12:07am
post #4 of 9

I just checked a box of Devils Food htat I recently purchased and it is 15.25 oz. a box of white that I had left over from a previous cake is 18.25 oz. That is a lot of difference, I hope it doesn't make a lot of difference though when I actually have to bake a cake with the new size.

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 12:16am
post #5 of 9

I have stopped using Betty Crocker completely since they made this change because I use doctored box recipes and don't want to waste money trying their new smaller product. I used Dunan Hines or Pilsbury now. Their loss.

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 12:35am
post #6 of 9

I just checked my cupboard, and the Betty Crocker I just bought this weekend are still 18.25 here in Minnesota. I will have to watch out for this. Maybe doing the WASC it wont' be a big deal...but 3 oz seems like a lot to me.

Deniro Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:20pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by joycesdaughter111

I have stopped using Betty Crocker completely since they made this change because I use doctored box recipes and don't want to waste money trying their new smaller product. I used Dunan Hines or Pilsbury now. Their loss.

I was afraid of this also. I have made two cakes so far, and there is no change in the amount of batter. There has been in increase in the baking time, but have only noticed it when I'm baking in my larger pans.

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 4:37pm
post #8 of 9

I have 2 1/2 sheets in the oven right now, one is made with the old formula and one is made with the new formula. Everything else is exactly the same. I'll post my results to let you know if I see any difference between them.

crazye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazye Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 4:44am
post #9 of 9

So that's what happened to my cakes?! I had my daughter's birthday cake (ladybug) baked, filled, decorated and ready to go last night before I went to bed and when I looked at it before dinner tonight the Grand Canyon had appeared. This has NEVER happened to my cakes so I thought maybe it was me but this explains a lot. The cake seemed much moister than before. I had it leveled out and stacked solidly so I think the formula now isn't really conducive to stacked cakes. Their loss. I went to get Pillsbury mixes and they seem fine so far out of the pan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%