How Do I Stop My Fondant From Going Dry!?

Decorating By hello_georgia Updated 10 Sep 2011 , 2:00am by hello_georgia

hello_georgia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hello_georgia Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 12:24am
post #1 of 9

I made my little brother an xbox birthday cake last night. It was a slab banana cake covered in rolled white icing from a box, which I coloured black. I have never been so stressed out in my life. The icing went dry and disgusting in a matter of minutes and the cake is now a hideous mess.

So for next time, how do you stop your icing from going dry? Was it because I used icing from a box? Should I make it myself next time? Please help!!

8 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 12:39am
post #2 of 9

I'm assuming you mean fondant, right? Fondant shouldn't go dry in a matter of minutes. Did you perhaps use gum paste instead of fondant? Gum paste dries quickly.

When you took it out of the box did you knead the fondant first? Because that warms it and when you pull it, it gets more elastic in nature. When you rolled it out how was the texture? And when you put it on the cake was that when you noticed it was dry?

I think you need to explain more before we (or at least I) can help you.

hello_georgia Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 12:45am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

I'm assuming you mean fondant, right? Fondant shouldn't go dry in a matter of minutes. Did you perhaps use gum paste instead of fondant? Gum paste dries quickly.

When you took it out of the box did you knead the fondant first? Because that warms it and when you pull it, it gets more elastic in nature. When you rolled it out how was the texture? And when you put it on the cake was that when you noticed it was dry?

I think you need to explain more before we (or at least I) can help you.

Yup, its fondant. It's the first time I've used the stuff.

I kneaded it for ages, it went soft and pliable, but then when I rolled it it started to dry out a little, then when I got it on the cake it went extremely dry.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 12:53am
post #4 of 9

What brand did you use?

hello_georgia Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 12:57am
post #5 of 9

Bakel's Pettinice. I am from New Zealand.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 1:19am
post #6 of 9

I suggest Fondarific. Tastes great and doesn't dry out like that.

hello_georgia Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 1:40am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

I suggest Fondarific. Tastes great and doesn't dry out like that.

I don't think that is available in New Zealand.

Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 1:54am
post #8 of 9

You can also knead in a small amount of shortening.

The fondant I buy here comes completely sealed in an airtight plastic pail to keep it from drying out. Is there any chance that your "boxed" fondant was exposed to the air before you started to use it, or could it have gone beyond it's "best before" date?

You could also try making your own marshmallow fondant if other brands are not readily available in New Zealand. There are some recipes on this site. I've had good success with one by MacsMom.

HTH.

hello_georgia Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 2:00am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexx

The fondant I buy here comes completely sealed in an airtight plastic pail to keep it from drying out. Is there any chance that your "boxed" fondant was exposed to the air before you started to use it, or could it have gone beyond it's "best before" date?

The stuff I used was sealed too. I will go check what the best before date was on it.

I was originally going to make my own but I couldn't find vegetable shortening at the supermarket which was needed in the recipe I had, so just grabbed the ready made stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%