Has Anyone Ever Offered To Buy Fondant Decorations From You?

Business By pinklatte Updated 8 Sep 2011 , 11:34pm by btrsktch

pinklatte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklatte Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 5

I had someone ask about having a Hello Kitty cake made with Hello Kitty, a teddy bear, Keroppi frog, and My Melody bunny. Plus a little table in the center. I said I could make that. Now she wants to know if she can just buy the characters made by me. They would have been the average 2-3 inches.

This is a first for me. Would or have you said yes and done this and sold just fondant pieces created by you? If so, how much would you charge per character made? I do not have a mold for these, make them by hand, so it takes me some time.

4 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 11:11pm
post #2 of 5

Yes, I would. I haven't been asked to do it, but since making figures like this is my favorite part of decorating, I'd certainly do it, if anyone wanted me to. Just remember you're paying yourself a salary of at least $10 an hour (you may be worth a lot more than that, of course!) plus your overhead and profit for the business, and see how long it takes you to make one. Price accordingly. There's no reason these should be inexpensive, since you basically put your heart and soul into them.

pinklatte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklatte Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 5

That's what I'm thinking. Making these are the most creative and detailed parts of making the cake. Still deciding on how to price it before I send a reply.

kenidicalamity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kenidicalamity Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 5

I have been the "buyer" in the situation. I was really pressed for time and needed some sesame st. characters. It took the girl like an hour to make all three of them and I paid her $30. I dunno if this is the going rate or no, but to me, it seemed like a good price for the time and supplies

btrsktch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btrsktch Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 5

I don't. For me, its an all or nothing. I have been asked a few times for certain pieces. In the end, in every scenario, I ended up with the cake order as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%