Nicholas Lodge Gumpaste, What Did I Do Wrong?

Decorating By jennifercullen Updated 8 Sep 2011 , 8:51pm by Texas_Rose

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 3

I have just made the recipe I found online, 4 egg whites, 2lb powdered sugar, 12 tsp tylose, and 4tsp shortening. My gumpaste came out of the mixer really hard,I have kneaded in loads of shortening to try and save it but its made no difference. I don't know if anyone has used that weird clay stuff you use for the baby first hand and footprint set, I don't think its in all of them but that's how it feels.. its so dry and its like I can't even knead it into itself, if I fold it over and press down it doesn't stick to itself it just holds the fold and I could open it back out again if u wanted to! What did I do wrong? It did say a kitchen aid mixer, but I have a Kenwood. I font know if that makes a difference.... I feel so crappy, its my second batch of gumpaste in a row that's gone wrong. I'm really tired and wanted to get an early night but thought I'd do this first and its just been a big waste of time and tylose which was not that cheap off eBay! [/quote]

2 replies
Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 3

I start with only about 1 1/2 lbs of powdered sugar to make a softer gumpaste. Also, I mix in the shortening before I add the tylose. Then you can knead in some more powdered sugar if you want it stiffer.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 3

Wrap it up in plastic wrap, put it in a ziplock bag, stick it in the fridge and let it rest until tomorrow.

Then tomorrow take it out and let it come to room temp, break off a piece to work with, put a little shortening on your finger and start to work the shortening into the paste, and it will come together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%