Preventing Fondant Toppers From Melting On Buttercream

Baking By moochified Updated 8 Sep 2011 , 5:53pm by moochified

moochified Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moochified Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all,

I am making an order of cupcakes for a friend of a friend. The cupcakes are going to have a big mound of buttercream, topped by a fondant disc base, and then have the fondant topper glued to the fondant disc base.

My friend will be delivering the cupcakes to his friend. I'm not sure when this exchange will go down. I do know that it will be at least 12 hours from the time I place the toppers on the cupcakes to the time that he delivers them.

To prevent the fondant toppers from melting, I was thinking that I could "paint" the underside of the disc base with chocolate so that the fondant isn't touching the buttercream, just the chocolate.

I really hate the idea of giving these cupcakes to someone without the toppers on them already.

Has anyone tried this and know if it will work or fail miserably? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

3 replies
JulzyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulzyCakes Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 12:22am
post #2 of 4

If you make the fondant decorations at least 3 days ahead and let them dry thoroughly, they should not melt when applied to the buttercream. I have done this many times on cakes and cupcakes without any problem. They are fine even after a couple days. Tip-don't let brightly colored decorations in direct sunlight to dry as they will fade. I hope this helps!

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 12:23am
post #3 of 4

I'm a little confused...You are going to be putting a flat round piece of fondant on top of the cupcake that will have a rounded mound of frosting on it and you don't want the round piece of fondant to start to droop? You want it to stay absolutely flat without it conforming to the frosting below it? From my experience it will start to droop. When I make cupcake toppers, I just pipe the frosting on with a large star tip but do not mound it up. I just cover the top of the cupcake so the frosting is approx. 1/2" thick all across the top so they fondant really can not droop and I let the fondant pieces dry out a little before I put them on because I know they will get soft with the buttercream. It works great. I have made them at least 12 hours ahead of time. Do you need to put a mound of frosting on top? If you do, I'm not sure how you can prevent that. I would like to hear some suggestions also!! Well, that's all the help I can offer.

moochified Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moochified Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the suggestions.

Serena: yes, I plan on putting buttercream on the cupcake and then a fondant disc on top of the buttercream AND THEN a fondant topper on top of the fondant disc.

Some of the toppers I made a few days ago, others I just made last night and I need to deliver tomorrow :-[

I'm trying to get my friend to deliver them tomorrow night as opposed to Sat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%