Isomalt Nightmare!!!

Sugar Work By yummy_in_my_tummy Updated 11 Sep 2011 , 12:22am by simicakes

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 3

I have just about had it with this stuff!! Last week I tried making isolmat coral by pouring the isolmalt over nice. Came out beautifuly! And then it got cloudy, because of the humidity and the fact that it was poured over ice.

SO... I was told to pour it over non-stick foil, all crumpled up. So I tried that, and the isolmalt doesn't stay on the "high" points of the foil, it just puddles into a pool at the bottm of the foil piece.

If I wait a little so the isomalt isn't as liquidy, and I pour it slowly, I can get it to stay on the high points and not pool so much, but I can't get it super thick. So when I pull the foil off, it breaks into a million pieces and it doesn't resemble coral at all.

Can anyone help me?? I don't have time to get those silica packets to suck the moisture out when they're drying....

2 replies
lilcakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilcakebaker Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 3:55am
post #2 of 3

I actually use a candy mixture of sugar and corn syrup to create that look. I pour it over a mound of ice and it comes out perfectly. I have a cake in my photos where I used this to make red flames to represent Hell.

simicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simicakes Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 12:22am
post #3 of 3

It depends on where you are located if you can use syrup in the recipe. In Florida if you make Isomalt with anything, but water, it will start melting in less than an hour. If you are in a low humidity area it could work. Another idea is to bake the isomalt. On a silpat mat spread a few drops of water around, just a sprinkle. Next spread dry isomalt crystals (pre-cooked) and cover with another silpat. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 min. It should be a beautiful coral. Isomalt tends to cloud, you can rub a little cooking oil on the piece to shine it up. You can use humidity packs from vitamins to store your isomalt pieces or store in tin instead of plastic. Hope it helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%