Gum Paste Bathtub In Need Of Blue Water Help!

Decorating By wrightway777 Updated 10 Sep 2011 , 4:57pm by katie725

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 7

I have a client who needs a lady mostly submerged in water (only head and knees & hands exposed) in a bathtub which I have no problem with... My question is the "water" should I:
A) use melted blue hard candies and pour it around positioned pieces
B) pour melted hard candy in gum paste bathtub then position pieces
C) position the pieces and use blue piping gel
D) your suggestion

Note: I am concerned that if I pour hot candy into the gum paste tub that it will "eat" the tub or the lady. Or would a bunch of piping gel make the pieces too soft compromising the stability?
All of the above is a main focal point ON TOP of a flat large cake.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. TIA

6 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 7

I would fill the tub almost full with buttercream or something else opaque, then put a layer of blue piping gel over that and place the "pieces of woman" into that. I say this because I think the blue piping gel will be the easiest to work with and will give you the best look. I suggest filling the tub almost to the top with something opaque, because piping gel/hard candies are transparent, and you will be able to see that the rest of her is missing below the surface of the water, if you see what I mean. I'd stay away from hard candies only because it might be difficult to place the head, etc., on top of them once they start to harden. If you try to fill the tub after placing these pieces in it, they might get moved around and not end up where you want them. I have no experience with this, but if I were asked to make a topper like this, I think that this is what I would do. Best of luck, whatever you decide to do. And, please, let us see a picture when you finish it!

wrightway777 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the reply that would definitely be a safe alternative doing the buttercream topped with piping gel. I saw that once as an alternative method since Duff was having trouble with his gum paste work melting when it came in contact with it.

Another alternative: melted colored white chocolate. Positioning the pieces when it starts to cool off and then when completely cool maybe even topping it with the tinted piping gel idea once cooled. Definitely haven't seen that before.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 7

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2107071

For this cake, she said she used blue colored icing and piping gel. I love how it looks.

wrightway777 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 7

myDiwa yes that's a great look! I think I am going to do the claws on the tub too! I' so glad you found this example. It almost looks like sugar work that was inverted over ice chips (the water).

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 4:43pm
post #6 of 7

You're welcome. I'm a genius who finds wonderful cakes but can't make them myself! icon_biggrin.gif

Let us know how it turns out.

katie725 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie725 Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 4:57pm
post #7 of 7

it also depends on the look you are going for...melted candy will harden but colored piping gel will not. i would either use piping gel and position the pieces or use melted candy to fill the tub then position the pieces. you could probably wait until the melted candy isn't so warm before you put it in the tub and eliminate the worries of "eating" away at the tub. good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%