Need Help With Pooh Cake,

Decorating By kel58 Updated 20 Sep 2011 , 10:26pm by vgereis

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 11:21am
post #1 of 5

Hey fellow cakers. I will try and make sure this makes as much sense as possible although it early and hard to type with a baby in my arms. icon_biggrin.gif
I am making a cake for my goddaughter next weekend for her winnie the pooh themed party. My original plan was to make a honeypot (carved 6"'s) sitting on top of a tree stump (8"). Then last night, while I was trying to get a baby to sleep, I remembered that, in one of the pictures I sent them as an idea. the birthday girl loved this little figurine of Winnie's bum and legs sticking out of the top of the honeypot like he had jumped in head first. She wanted to have that cake just because she loved that small aspect of it but her mom vito'd her.
So my question is, how could I make pooh stick out of the big cake honeypot? My thought was to make his bottom out of RCT and cover in fondant. I could do the same with the legs but how do I get them to stick straight up? Would they be too heavy? My worry is that with the tall honeypot and pooh's vertical legs, this cake will be a nightmare to transport and be top heavy. Know what I mean. I don't to bring this idea to my gf if its going to be a pain in my ass or potentially ruin the cake.
Am I worrying for nothing?

4 replies
Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 11:37am
post #2 of 5

Well, my first thought was also RKT covered in fondant, and if I were to do it I would get a 1/2" (3/4) dowel depending how big and place into the pooh bum and I would cover cake/pooh and than insert at the party. I think becasue of what you are doing (Pooh & poy) it would make more sense seeing you are transporting it as well. makes it easier and no worry about it tipping while transporting. Just a thought.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 12:54pm
post #3 of 5

I just made a similar cake and transported it down the worst highway in NYC and it got there in 1 piece
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2145086

I actually didn't even dowel the honey pot. (probably should have) I put some piping gel under it and threw it in the fridge.
It stuck so well I had to wiggle it off when they went to cut the cake.

With Pooh sticking out of the honey pot you can just use some skewers so it goes through the legs and into the honey pot for support

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 1:01pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks ladies! The cake was a big hit and constuction went smoothly. I stressed for nothing. I doweled pooh's legs and attatched them at the party. It was a slight disaster to serve though. the 2nd tier took all the icing and fondant with it when I pulled it off! Grrr. I loved the way it turned out. Pic in gallery.
Thanks again!

vgereis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgereis Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 5

Great job on the cake kel58! Added to my favorites!

Best,

Vicky

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%