Attempting A Larger Sized Cake....

Decorating By SweetTater Updated 5 Sep 2011 , 9:55pm by augurey

SweetTater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTater Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a wedding cake that is using a 14" square bottom tier. I've never baked anything larger than a 12" thus far. I just baked the first layer of the 14" and had some problems with the larger pan. I'm using the basic WASC recipe. I coated the pan with flour spray and used a flower nail in the middle. I baked it at 325 for about 52 minutes. Let it cool on a rack for 10 minutes, but when I tried to flip it out, part of the bottom stayed attached to the pan and tore away from the cake.

Should I have let it cool longer?

Any help/tips in baking larger sized cakes is greatly appreciated.

TIA!

4 replies
augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 5

What about using parchment paper?

I've used Crisco/flour as well as spray and cake release. Sometimes they'll come out perfectly while other times I have it stick.

I've been trying out parchment paper recently, and I feel like it comes out better. I usually spray the pan first to get the parchment to stick and then spray the parchment. So far I've had good results each time.

HTH!

elizaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizaBakes Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 5

How about putting a piece of parchment paper on the bottom of the cake pan. That way you just peel the paper off once you flip the cake out of the pan?

SweetTater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTater Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 5

Good idea! I'll try the parchment paper on the next layer. But do you think it should cool a little longer in the pan before flipping? How long do you let your cakes cool before flipping them, and does the time vary based on how big the pan is?

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 5

I usually cool about 10 minutes on just about all sizes (though I've not done any larger than a 10"). I've not noticed that big of a difference, especially with the parchment paper. Though the cake is still very warm when I've pulled of the parchment paper, so I'm not sure how a cooler cake would do (may be fine).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%