Royal Blue Velvet Cake

Baking By snazzycakes1 Updated 22 Sep 2011 , 7:27pm by chestercheeto

snazzycakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzycakes1 Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 16

i have a cake request to make royal blue velvet cake. is this pretty much a white cake with blue food coloring. I am a doctored box baker, please dont judge me . lol can i just make my normal vanilla cake with blue color? is there a specific flavoring in it? thanks

15 replies
Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 16

I'm not an expert but... Red velvet cake is actually chocolate cake with red food coloring & some other stuff lol.
So try using a red velvet recipe scratch if possible & instead of red add royal blue... I know Bakerella made it with green

I use this recipe

http://www.bakerella.com/red-velvet-cake/

Heres where she used it with green

http://www.bakerella.com/red-velvet-revisited/

HTH thumbs_up.gif

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 16

snazzycakes1, you should be able to make the blue velvet cake using your vanilla cake mix and adding blue color. The amount of coloring will need experimentation. I have a basic cake recipe I use for red velvet; it works for blue, green, or pink velvet just by deleting the cocoa and using the appropriate food color.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 16

Cupcations- about the red velvet cake recipe- that seems like a lot of oil. (I dislike the oily taste of high oil content baked goods.) I frequently substitute applesauce for part of the oil. The liquid ratio remains correct and the baked good is moist. Since you have made the recipe, does it seem rational to use 1 cup applesauce and 1/2 cup oil?

pickles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pickles Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

snazzycakes1, you should be able to make the blue velvet cake using your vanilla cake mix and adding blue color. The amount of coloring will need experimentation. I have a basic cake recipe I use for red velvet; it works for blue, green, or pink velvet just by deleting the cocoa and using the appropriate food color.

Sorry but deleting the cocoa does not make it a velvet cake, the cocoa is needed definitely. If you do this it robs the cake of the wonderful flavor of a red, green or blue velvet cake.

evelyn / aka cakegrandma

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 16

I call mine my blue suede cake. I use a doctored cake mix from " Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor" ( the red velvet cake recipe) and just add blue food coloring. I only use 1/1 ounce bottle of food coloring not 2...but you can color it to your taste.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 7:32pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

Cupcations- about the red velvet cake recipe- that seems like a lot of oil. (I dislike the oily taste of high oil content baked goods.) I frequently substitute applesauce for part of the oil. The liquid ratio remains correct and the baked good is moist. Since you have made the recipe, does it seem rational to use 1 cup applesauce and 1/2 cup oil?

Narie you are right that is a lot of oil, I only used that recipe once I loved how it tasted & will definitely use it again but with half the amount of oil... My CC liners were soaked with oil & thats one thing I did not like about it.

heres a pic & you can notice the oil...

http://cupcations.blogspot.com/2011/02/red-velvet-cupcakes.html

But again thats a personal thing, I also hate oil especially when I can feel it. Yes next time I would try half oil & half applesauce (or even somthing else "EXPERIMENT") & will let you know how that turns out thumbs_up.gif

BoozeBabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoozeBabe Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 7:43pm
post #8 of 16

Red velvet is a pretty heavy cake. It NEEDS the buttermilk, vinegar, oil and cocoa to turn out like the traditional cake. DO NOT omit any of these. Otherwise its just a cake with food coloring.

Give the client a true velvet cake.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 8:22pm
post #9 of 16

Since you said you do doctor cakes I found two recipes for you...One using cake mix & one scratch:

Betty Crocker recipe for blue velvet cake:

Cake
box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® white cake mix
1 1/4
cups buttermilk
1/3
cup vegetable oil
eggs
tablespoon unsweetened baking cocoa
teaspoons royal blue paste food color
toothpickful violet paste food color
Frosting
jar (7 oz) marshmallow creme
cup butter or margarine, softened
2 1/2
cups powdered sugar
1/8
teaspoon salt

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/royal-blue-velvet-cake/bce7c4e4-8c6a-49cd-ac3f-9fe629722d9c

Here is Paula Dean's recipe for blue velvet cake:

Cake:
2 cups sugar
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
2 eggs
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 ounces blue food coloring
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon vinegar
Icing:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
1 stick butter, softened
1 cup melted marshmallows
1 (1-pound) box confectioners' sugar
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup chopped pecans

Cake Directions:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/blue-velvet-cake-recipe2/index.html

I hope this helps some thumbs_up.gif

Lindsram Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindsram Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 8:52pm
post #10 of 16

I've used the Betty Crocker recipe and it's delicious!

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 9:23pm
post #11 of 16

I tried making blue velvet cupcakes for my son's birthday and they turned out this really weird shade of dark green once they were baked. I followed a recipe that I use for a scratch red velvet cake and just substituted the royal blue color with the red.

I don't think I'll ever try that again.

meljce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meljce Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 9:31pm
post #12 of 16

You might be able to use a white chocolate powder to keep a coco like flavor and get the color you want. I used a white hot chocolate and it was pretty Good.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 9:36pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalicia

I tried making blue velvet cupcakes for my son's birthday and they turned out this really weird shade of dark green once they were baked. I followed a recipe that I use for a scratch red velvet cake and just substituted the royal blue color with the red.

This happened to me the first couple of times I made a color substitution. Once I left out the cocoa the other colors worked. That's why I previously recommended deleting the cocoa. I realize it won't be a true velvet cake, but getting a nice color can be more important.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 11:08pm
post #14 of 16

I think the buttermilk is the most important in the recipe anyway. That is what helps give the red velvet cake it's flavor, the cocoa is a minor contributor. If I made them again, I would decrease the amount of cocoa or eliminate it altogether. Perhaps try a "pink velvet" recipe that's known to work.

snazzycakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzycakes1 Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 12:12am
post #15 of 16

thank you all so much for your replys, this forum is great help!

chestercheeto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chestercheeto Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 7:27pm
post #16 of 16

the green comes from mixing blue with yellow from the egg yolks. you can cancel out the yellow by adding a dab of violet color and then use royal blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalicia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%