I'm making a cake for my boyfriends birthday. Up until now everything has gone very smoothly.
I've never used luster dust before so I just followed the instructions on the package. I got the Wilton brand since that was all the store had. I tried mixing it with some lemon juice like it suggested but now it won't dry. I have some other detail work that I need to paint on top but the places I painted on the luster dust are very sticky and I can't seem to get it to dry. Anyone know how to make it dry?
If you're going to turn luster dust into liquid paint, you have to use lemon EXTRACT or something else with a high alcohol content, like vodka or Everclear (grain alcohol). Did it really say lemon JUICE? I wouldn't put it past Wilton to suggest something like that, but it won't work. Alcohol evaporates quickly, but lemon juice, just like water, takes its own sweet time to dry and will more than likely turn your fondant soggy.
Really wish I could help you - I'm thinking it's probably because you used lemon juice instead of lemon extract that you're having problems getting it to dry. I know that doesn't help a bit with your current situation though
Yep, that is exactly what it said. "Pour a small amount of clear vanilla, LEMON JUICE, or vodka..."
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get it to dry faster, other than just to let it sit for a few days?
You could always put some vodka in a small spray bottle and mist some over the parts you want to dry, I think it would be worth a try, anyway!
I went to the Wilton website and you are absolutely right--it does say lemon juice instead of lemon extract. That is completely wrong advice.
By using lemon juice, you've effectively melted the fondant or gum paste surface on which you've painted.
Like any sugar syrup, it will dry over time. How long, I have no idea. If it's very humid in your area, it could be a week.
If you have the time, you could point a fan at it to speed it up.
I can't guarantee that you'll be happy with the results when it's dry, in all honesty.
I've e-mailed Wilton to correct the error on the website.
Just a quick follow up--Wilton responded immediately by correcting the info on the website. It now says to use lemon extract.
Everyone makes mistakes. It's nice to see a corporation correct one so quickly!
Now, if it's on all of the current packaging..........well, that's a nightmare I wouldn't want to have to try to fix