Frosting Question

Decorating By pj22 Updated 3 Sep 2011 , 5:19pm by scp1127

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 4:07am
post #1 of 7

Hi!

I wanted to ask if anyone has tried a recipe like this: http://www.ourbestbites.com/2008/09/perfect-cupcake-frosting-and-filling/ where the buttercream starts with a white sauce roux. I read a lot about this frosting and how it resembles whipped cream.

Is this frosting better than the usual buttercream or the meringue based buttercream?

Will this frosting stay out for 5-6 hours at room temperature? Anyone who has tried this recipe.. please help!! Thanks!

6 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 4:21am
post #2 of 7

There is not enough sugar in the ratio to keep this one out. I never keep my perishables out like that. They are refrigerated until they are 1/2 hour to 45 minutes from being served. I tell clients up front how they must handle the cake. I have never had anyone disagree. If they want a cake with pastry cream, cream cheese frosting, etc., then the cake must be handled properly.

I personally don't like cooked flour frostings, but that's just me. There are too many others that outshine it.

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 4:43am
post #3 of 7

I made a frosting with a similar recipe. To me it almost had the taste of chocolate chip cookie dough minus the chocolate chips. I used salted butter, not sure what taste difference there would be using unsalted. My boyfriend said it tasted like whipped cream. It was pretty good but I could tell the texture difference because of the flour. If you're going for fluffy you'll definitely want to let it come to room temp before serving, it gets hard in the fridge. Not sure how it would do piping since I just slapped it on a cake for me and my boyfriend to eat. And it does NOT crust, just a warning. I put it on a red velvet cake (I read that this was the original "traditional" frosting for red velvet and I thought it went really well with that)......and I ate the frosting that was left icon_redface.gif

pj22 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 4:56am
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the replies. I wanted to make a meringue frosting but don't want to use eggs. Any alternatives??

scp1127 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 6:35am
post #5 of 7

pj22, are you asking for a frosting for your craft fair? Don't compromise your flavors for the event because it will be outside. Very simple: Pack your cupcakes in a cooler with the fake ice packets covered with a towel. They will stay a great consistency all day. Take them out as you need them to fill your display depending on the rate they are selling.

pj22 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 1:12pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks scp1127. Yes, I was asking for the craft fair and to have a standard frosting recipe. I had read about how this is the mock "bettercreme" and tastes light and delicious so I wanted to use this recipe. Do you have any alternatives for raw eggs in meringue buttercreams? I am iffy, even though they say the eggs get cooked to 160 F icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 7

The eggs in SMBC are cooked and the eggs in IMBC/FBC are heated to almost double that. IMBC uses whites which are safer than yolks, but a cooler will keep all of these out of harm's way in the heat. These buttercreams can be held at room temp for days, so there is no safety issue. I bought a bunch of Igoo coolers that will hold my 10" boxes (4 each) and I use them exclusively for cakes/cupcakes.

If you are using this event to icrease your business with new customers, you want your best, not a fake, non-dairy compromise.

If you are ever in doubt as to the safety of eggs, dairy, etc., look to the .gov sites for guideance. You can check the egg board, dairy board, or the best site, the FDA. This way you can be sure of your decisions. Another place to look for guideance is your state health dept and the Dept of Ag. Both are a wealth of info on food safety that your local HD may not have. Another source is a university that has a nutrition research dept. This is unrelated, but my dad developed athletic horse feed. For all questions, he called Va Tech (Univ.) to get exact answers. They also performed a nutrition analysis on his feed. There are universities with research labs for different human foods that you can look to for answers. I've seen many suggestions on this site that violate food safety, so the best advice I can give is to get it from the source. If you are ever questioned about making some sick or the safety of your food, quoting and following gov standards will put you in a good position. This is what I do. And if I ever give advice about food safety on CC, this is my source.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%