Diabetic Or Sugar Free Recipe For 150 Cupcakes. Help!!

Baking By Sisterbakers Updated 8 Sep 2011 , 2:30pm by luvmysmoother

Sisterbakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sisterbakers Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 10

I have a wedding in a couple of weeks for 300 cupcakes. The bride has asked for half of them to be diabetic. Good grief! Over the last few months I hare searched for and tried countless recipes but none of them have proven to produce nice cupcakes.

Any advice out there?? icon_confused.gif

9 replies
JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 10

Hi,
Have you tried this recipe for sugar free chocolate cupcakes?
http://www.squidoo.com/sugar-free-cupcakes

Hope this helps! good luck! icon_smile.gif

Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 10

OK don't anybody yell at me..... the Pillsbury sugar free chocolate cake mix is quite good!

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 10

go to ideal sugar recipes they have great recipes
http://www.idealsweet.com/

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 10

We spent several months doing R&D trying to put together a sugar-free cake recipe that was suitable for diabetics, but we were unable to come up with a product we would be comfortable selling. Most diabetics need to avoid more than just sugar, other carbs (i.e. flour) can also cause problems, and many of the sugar substitutes had their own problems (xylitol -- the main ingredient in Ideal -- causes serious GI side effects in some people).

The best sugar substitutes we found were Splenda and Stevia.

psurrette Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 5:37pm
post #6 of 10

People that are not diabetic just don't understand the whole picture when it comes to eating. Most sugar free items have more carbs than non sugar free and this will increase any diabetics sugar.
Diabetics need to make a choice on what they will eat. here is an example
Salad is fine
chicken with veggies is fine
now do they eat the bread and butter or the slice of cake. Here is where we as diabetics have to make a choice. if you don't want to increase your sugar count to high we pass on the bread and eat the cupcake
So, as long as your guests can make the right choices there no reason to have sugar free for them if you do it might cause them to run to the bathroom anyway.
Its all about choices.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurrette

People that are not diabetic just don't understand the whole picture when it comes to eating. Most sugar free items have more carbs than non sugar free and this will increase any diabetics sugar.
Diabetics need to make a choice on what they will eat. here is an example
Salad is fine
chicken with veggies is fine
now do they eat the bread and butter or the slice of cake. Here is where we as diabetics have to make a choice. if you don't want to increase your sugar count to high we pass on the bread and eat the cupcake
So, as long as your guests can make the right choices there no reason to have sugar free for them if you do it might cause them to run to the bathroom anyway.
Its all about choices.

thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

psurrette Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 9:33pm
post #8 of 10

I wish I could get it into the heads of my boyfriends parents because they dont get it and they are diabetic. I am border line my a1c is 6.0 I need to loose weight and watch what I eat. so I make better choices

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 9:36pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurrette

Agreed...that's the main reason we didn't pursue a sugar-free product line. If the cake is going to make your blood sugar spike anyway (because of the extra carbs) it might as well be a good cake, and the best we ever got our sugar-free cakes was "acceptable".

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 2:30pm
post #10 of 10

I say offer them sugar free mini cheesecake tarts or some other dessert that can be made diabetic friendly (low carbs,sugar) and still taste acceptableicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%