Mmf With Tylose

Decorating By bakerliz Updated 1 Sep 2011 , 7:43pm by TexasSugar

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 5

I like adding Tylose to my MMF to use if for modeling and small figurines, it works great. The only problem I have is that even when I wrap it several times, it gets hard and I can't work it back into a usable material. I don't have this problem when I store gumpaste or MMF. Anyone else have this problem or know how to prevent it?

4 replies
Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 5

The same problem (gum tragacanth) and rolled fondant (homemade), I don't use MMF. I prefer mixing 2/3 fondant + 1/3 Wilton gumpaste. The figures are still edible but not too soft if you keep them in an airtight container and have still acceptable taste (sole gumpaste figures are not 'edible' in my opinion - not in the sense of edibility, but taste). I never tried to let them harden completely, so I don't know if they would become hard as these made of pure gumpaste. hth

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 5

I think part of it is if you are adding by 'feel' to get the workability you want to use right away you are probably adding alot. Then when it sits those gums continue to work. Maybe try mixing the two earlier, using less of it, and allowing it to rest before using it?

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I think part of it is if you are adding by 'feel' to get the workability you want to use right away you are probably adding alot. Then when it sits those gums continue to work. Maybe try mixing the two earlier, using less of it, and allowing it to rest before using it?

This makes sense (and I do add alot!) Do you know any measurements that might be helpful?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 5

Honestly I'm a by fill kinda of person myself, and also always end up with rocks the next day or two. icon_smile.gif

I want to say Wilton use to say in their old Course 3 book that it was a teaspoon of gum-text to 12 oz fondant. That might be a starting point to work with?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%