Duncan Hines Frosting, Indydebi's Bc, And Fondnat?

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 1 Sep 2011 , 3:07pm by CiNoRi

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 10

I had a thought of adding DH Cream Cheese frosting to my Indydebi BC (to play with the Cream cheese flavoring/shelf stable factor).. then covering the cake with fondant

Have you used canned frosting under fondant? will this be ok?

9 replies
fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 10

I have and it is really fine. Just do it like a crumb coating.. Icing under fondant is really for "gluing" purposes. w/ out icing your fondant can shift or fall off. Just do not use whipped cream. ..

CiNoRi Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 10

DH doesn't crust right? do you think a 50/50 mix (Indydebi's recipe being fairly stiff), sound doable?

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 10

I mix the duncan hines cream cheese with my buttercream all the time. I would say more like 60/40 or 70/30 because the DH definitely does not crust and it definitely makes it a bit more hard to work with. However, I don't cover with fondant...that's only when I am doing a smooth buttercream surface.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 10

Have you tried Earlene's recipe with the cream cheese? http://www.earlenescakes.com/icings.htm It doesn't need refrigeration and it crusts. I usually add a half packet of dream whip to the small batch when I make it. When I'm not using cream cheese, I use Indydebi's recipe. The two frostings behave about the same, as far as crusting and workability.

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 10

Great idea. I'll have to try this. Does it still produce a good cream cheese flavored frosting?

CiNoRi Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 7:42pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Have you tried Earlene's recipe with the cream cheese? http://www.earlenescakes.com/icings.htm It doesn't need refrigeration and it crusts. I usually add a half packet of dream whip to the small batch when I make it. When I'm not using cream cheese, I use Indydebi's recipe. The two frostings behave about the same, as far as crusting and workability.

i have not tired this one yet only because i dont have "Butavan" and unfortunately dont have time to get it! icon_sad.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 8:41pm
post #8 of 10

Oh, I don't have butavan either...I've made it before with Lorann's butter vanilla emulsion (tasted like chemicals) and with plain clear vanilla, which tasted fine.

CiNoRi Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 9:02pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Oh, I don't have butavan either...I've made it before with Lorann's butter vanilla emulsion (tasted like chemicals) and with plain clear vanilla, which tasted fine.

okie!!

CiNoRi Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 3:07pm
post #10 of 10

well i just made Earlene's Recipe... WHY DID I NOT MAKE THIS SOONER!?!?!?!

icon_wink.gif Its not as "Cream cheesey" as id like (but the shelf stable factor is key so i'm not complaining!!!) but a FAR cry from anything else I have tried.

Thanks again. I just never realized what Butavan actually was. I used vanilla bean paste and a little butter extract. so nice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%