Availability And Formula Of Imperial Margarine

Decorating By Kayakado Updated 2 Sep 2011 , 10:51pm by Kayakado

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 8

Is this margarine still available in US?

Did they change the formula, ie like Crisco did when taking out the trans fats?

I heard it has a lot of what appears to be water is in it and has resulted in old cookie recipes and such failing.

My DH wants the cookies of his childhood and the recipe calls for Imperial Margarine, so far my attempts to use butter or other margarine brands have not done it for him.

7 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 8

It is. I grew up with it too. I am in Oklahoma and have found it in markets here...can't remember if it's in Walmart or just our regional markets. Here is their website. I just did a google search. ( I put spaces purposely so maybe they won't take it off) It has the ingredients on there too. Apparently they've 'improved' it...don't know how. Anyway, good luck!

http://www. imperialmargarine .ca /en /

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 8

I grew up using Imperial in cookie recipes. Imperial is softer than it used to be, and sometimes a recipe that didn't have to be chilled in the past will now need to be chilled before the cookies can be shaped, but pretty much all the recipes still work. The cookies that you make on the stove top with cocoa powder and margarine don't work well with Imperial anymore, they never harden.

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 8

I have a box in my fridge right now, got it at Wal-Mart! icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 8

I've still seen it sold as well.

My favorite margarine in cookies is Blue Bonnets though.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 8

The formula has been changed, the package now says 53% vegetable oil spread. I remember when it was 67%. There's more water now which affects your final product. Compensate by adding a little more flour... or just compensate by using butter.

Kayakado Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 10:36pm
post #7 of 8

thanks to everyone who replied, this is just the kind of info i needed especially about the formula. i will try and remove some of the water through evaporation as a test. i've been asked to try making them with imperial, i used butter before and i was told they just didn't taste like "Baboo's"(their grandmother). oh what we do for love!!!

Kayakado Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 10:51pm
post #8 of 8

sorry dupe post

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%