How Do I Make An Open Cardboard Box Cake?

Decorating By Boonhatch Updated 1 Sep 2011 , 1:54am by Ashleyssweetdesigns

Boonhatch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boonhatch Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 4

I have been asked to make a rather different kind of cake and I am really not very experienced at all. I am looking for any help on making a cake that looks like an opened cardboard box...with a head sticking out of the top. I have premade fondant for the box but not really sure how to make it hold up and be stiff enough for a box. Also the head (eyes/nose really), I was going to use a glass batter bowl. Any thoughts anyone could give me would really help! Thank you!

3 replies
Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 12:29am
post #2 of 4

My suggestion would be to cover a real box with fondant to give it a clean look and ensure that it would hold up. You can do the head out of molding chocolate or RKT and do gumpaste features.

Boonhatch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boonhatch Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 1:45am
post #3 of 4

Thank you! I am trying to make the whole cake edible but just not sure how to pull it off. I've seen some amazing cardboard box cakes on this site under toy story 3 cakes but I don't know the method. Very beginner and don't want this to be a disaster! icon_smile.gif How to get the sides of the "box" to stand up a bit above the cake foundation...fondant? Fondant and gum paste mixture? Not sure. Thanks for the tips though!

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 1:54am
post #4 of 4

Try messaging those people directly.... thats the only thing I can think of. Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%