Square Footage Needed For A Cupcake Shop?

Business By Kris89 Updated 1 Sep 2011 , 10:13pm by Kris89

Kris89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kris89 Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 7

Hello all, My mom and I have been thinking on and off for awhile now about doing our own cupcake shop. Now that we live in a bigger city, it is more do-able. Other than just cupcakes, we might also do brownies, fudge, and banana bread. It would mainly be us two working there, maybe my brother or if we need to hire an extra hand or two. My question is; How much square footage do we need to do all this? Enough room for the baking and supplies, as well as enough room for the customers to come in and pick and choose. Thanks all. icon_smile.gif

6 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 4:35am
post #2 of 7

Well, size will also be dependent on your budget....

What do I need to open a bakery:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-358713.html

Commercial kitchen design/eqmt:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-29346.html

HTH

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 6:38am
post #3 of 7

According to Cupcake Girls in Canada, very little. Even if your budget allows for unused square footage, you only want to be paying for the absolute minimum required to operate--extra square footage is wasted "real estate" and wasted money that ultimately lowers your profit.

Kris89 Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 7:52am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

According to Cupcake Girls in Canada, very little. Even if your budget allows for unused square footage, you only want to be paying for the absolute minimum required to operate--extra square footage is wasted "real estate" and wasted money that ultimately lowers your profit.

That's very true. That's why I want to figure out exactly how much we need, without excess space/money wasted.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Absolutely true.

But since the OP didn't specify whether she was planning on selling 50 or 15,000 cupcakes, etc. a day, I thought that mentioning her budget would be helpful - since as you stated unused floor space would be money wasted.

And paying for space isn't the only consideration in her budget, she'll also need equipment, permits, insurance, etc. (which was included in the links).

The links would have planted (hopefully) the idea that a business plan was in order.

HTH

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 12:15am
post #6 of 7

Small is good! Small is cheap!

My first shop was approx 500 sq ft. There was enough room in the production area for two bakers producing breads, muffins, cookies, brownies, cakes, pies, and anything else that seemed appropriate. We had no wasted space, the walls were lined with shelves, the 2 workbenches had bins and drawers. Our retail area was large enough to hold 10 or so customers.

Just make sure you and mom get along well or you'll wish you had twice the space.

Kris89 Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

Small is good! Small is cheap!

My first shop was approx 500 sq ft. There was enough room in the production area for two bakers producing breads, muffins, cookies, brownies, cakes, pies, and anything else that seemed appropriate. We had no wasted space, the walls were lined with shelves, the 2 workbenches had bins and drawers. Our retail area was large enough to hold 10 or so customers.

Just make sure you and mom get along well or you'll wish you had twice the space.

Hmm very good first hand experience. icon_smile.gif I'm pretty good at having no wasted space as well. Hmm wow, holds about 10 customers or so, that sounds pretty good too. Good post, you've definitely helped me to get more of a visual. thumbs_up.gif Yea that's true, but my mom and I usually get along quite well, but definitely worth keeping in mind.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%