I Need A New Oven

Decorating By Smashme Updated 1 Sep 2011 , 4:09am by Smashme

Smashme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smashme Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 4

my oven died, so now i need a new one. anyone have any good suggestions. Please help i have no idea what to get, also i have gas not electric if that helps? anyone?

3 replies
Smashme Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 4

doesn't anyone have an oven they like?

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 4

This question has been asked and answered about a million times, which is probably why no one posted a comment...

I have a convection oven at home that has the option of regular bake and convection bake. If I select convection bake I punch in the temp I would use for regular baking and the temp is automatically adjusted (lower by 25 degrees).

When I had just a regular oven I baked my cakes at 325 degrees. With the convection bake I punch in 375 degrees, the temp is automatically lowered to 350 degrees, and I get the same results (moist cake, no "hump"). I have NOT noticed the baking time being shorter using the convection oven but I can bake so much more at a time by using all 2 racks in the oven.

I can bake an entire 4 tier cake (2 12" round, 2 10" round, 2 8" round, 2 6" round) at the same time. Takes about 1 1/2 hours (baking and cooling time).

The main thing you have to look for is a true convection oven. Some ovens call themselves convection ovens because they have a fan, but they are not really convection ovens. The oven I have has 3 heating elements: top and bottom (like normal) and a third heating element behind the fan so the air that is blown into the oven is the same temp as the oven. This is really the only way the entire oven is the same temp causing even baking.

The only negative I have is sometimes (not every time) the top the cake gets hard, almost crust like. I trim the top off of each cake so it doesn't matter and it doesn't affect the rest of the cake - just the top. I think it is because of the fan blowing on it but I am not sure. Like I said, it is only sometimes this happens.

I own the Samsung FTQ38LWGX. I bought it from Lowes for $1400 including installation.

Smashme Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 4:09am
post #4 of 4

thank you so much! this is so great to know, thanks for your time and explination!!! i tried to search for this topic but didn't come up with anything, but then again i'm not that great with computers icon_redface.gif thanks again!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%