Everyone's Favorite Whipped Icing

Baking By KC-CAJUN Updated 2 Sep 2011 , 12:19pm by KC-CAJUN

KC-CAJUN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KC-CAJUN Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 5

This is my variation of the milk/flour whipped icing that I've been using for many years. It's much easier and better tasting to me with cornstarch instead of flour and you don't get those nasty lumps:

Whipped Vanilla Icing

Cream: 1/2 cup of Crisco
1 stick of oleo (not lite)
1 cup of granulated sugar

Add
alternately: 2/3 to 3/4 cup of very warm, not boiling, milk,
about a 1/4 cup at a time
3 tablespoons of cornstarch, 1 TB at a time

Whip until no longer grainy and add 1 teaspoon of vanilla. You can also add 1/2 cup of powdered sugar to make the icing sweeter and a little more stiff.

Tip: I pour the milk in a coffee mug and microwave for about 75 seconds, but you'll need to time it according to your oven. That's the only trick to the recipe...getting the milk warm enough to melt the sugar but not scalding that it melts the whole batch. If you make the milk too hot--don't worry. Let the batch cool and beat again.

I use this recipe to ice my cakes and buttercream to decorate. Also a dynamite filling for tiny cream horns icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 5

Thanks for sharing the recipe. Is oleo margarine? Or butter?

KC-CAJUN Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 10:04am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Thanks for sharing the recipe. Is oleo margarine? Or butter?

I'm sorry! It's margarine. I use Parkay because it's the most firm, and I stay away from the "light" versions. If you use a light margarine, you may have to add a little more cornstarch/powdered sugar to keep the consistency.

If you try it, let me know how it turns out icon_biggrin.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 10:42am
post #4 of 5

Thanks so much for your help!

I also like using the Whipped Cream Buttercream in the Most Saved Recipes section. It's not as light as whipped cream but not as heavy as American Buttercream.

Thanks again!

KC-CAJUN Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 12:19pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Thanks so much for your help!

I also like using the Whipped Cream Buttercream in the Most Saved Recipes section. It's not as light as whipped cream but not as heavy as American Buttercream.

Thanks again!

I'll definitely look that one up. There's a few folks in the family that love cakes iced with the traditional buttercream, but what a mess I make of it sometimes! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%