Help With Fondant

Baking By Cupcake101 Updated 25 Aug 2011 , 5:01pm by Crazboutcakes

Cupcake101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcake101 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 6:38am
post #1 of 4

can someone please help me with making marshmallow fondant. I tried it today for the first time and it did not work. I used my kitchen aid mixer and towards the end it got really stiff and started to get black spots. I was thinking maybe I over mixed it? I have two cake orders for the 3rd with fondant any help would be appreciated...thank you

3 replies
Isadorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Isadorable Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 4

I make my own fondant and I use the Kitchen Aid mixer also and I've never had any problems.
I don't know what your recipe is. But, in case, here is mine :

2 x 250 gr of mini-marshmallow
2 table spoon water
1 kg icing sugar

In a bowl, melt the mini-marshmallow in the microwave oven. Before melting them, add 1 table spoon of water and melt in the microwave, 30 seconds at a time. Once both bags are melted, place the melted marshmallow in your mixer bowl and add icing sugar gradually until you get a nice dough.

Place icing sugar on your counter and slowly continue adding icing sugar to your mixe until you have the right texture you are looking for. Not too sticky when you are manipulating it.

It's as easy as this... for me anyways!

Hope this helps you alittle!

Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 4

I use my KA mixer to make marshmallow fondant all the time. I usually add about 2/3rds of the powdered sugar in the mixer and then grease my counter top w/ crisco and slowly knead in the rest of the sugar by hand. I also keep my hands well greased in crisco while I knead the fondant. I'm very confused as to what is causing black spots though.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 4

I always use this recipe, and I find it just easirer to spray the bowl and utensils before using and than using a scrapper on a table top etc.. and mix remainder of PS. Just don't forget to leave over night to settle it makes a world of difference and the following day I will place in microwave for about 10 to 15 seconds to soften it up before adding any more sugar. HTH

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15498/mmf-easy-peasy-used-kitchenaid

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%