How Do I Make A Gold Wedding Cake!!

Decorating By gateauxprincess Updated 23 Aug 2011 , 9:24pm by The_Sugar_Fairy

gateauxprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateauxprincess Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all, I have been asked to make a 3 tiered wedding cake by a friend for her wedding. She wants the cake to be a pale gold as her wedding dress is that colour and wants to tie the two together. I recently bought gold lustre spray but found that even using the little gun to operate it, i still found it gave a rather patchy uneven finish,not sure if i'm too heavy handed or if its the spray, i always use the pearl one and never have any problems. So I thought that maybe gold fondant might work but then a 6, 8 and 10 inch cake would need an awful lot of gold and if it didn't work out then what a waste! I'm out of ideas, i know some people may suggest a glaze but isn't that usually for smaller intricate detailing? The bride is wonderful and i really want to make her day, all i need is the palest gold to make it work so if anyone has any ideas for me please help all suggestions welcome even regarding the lustre sprays on how to create a flawless finish.
thanks for your time icon_smile.gif

2 replies
mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 3

You really want to make sure your fondant doesn't have any patches of wet spots, or areas with shortening smudges either. Those areas can tend to grab and/or repel color and dusts and show patchy uneven spots. Before I ever brush or paint anythign on a cake, I wipe it down with a paper towel, feel it for damp spots, and then dust a corn starch poof over it. Pat it with a paper towel again, brush it off with a large blush brush and reinspect. Once the surface is perfectly consistent, I do my decorating. For luster spray, stand back from the cake, farther than you would think, and use wide sweeping sprays, turning the cake as you go. It might take a while, but you will have even coverage, and a prettier final product.

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 3

I actually have the same question... I'm trying to make a gold and white wedding cake. When you guys are talking about luster spray, are you talking about using it with the air brush, or by itself in a can, like the PME one? I've been having trouble with the PME luster spray. I covered a couple gum paste roses last week and it worked perfectly. Now this week it's not working very well at all, the colour just won't go on right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%