Cake Snobs - Caution-Slight Venting!

Lounge By CrumblesConfections Updated 22 Aug 2011 , 8:13pm by CrumblesConfections

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 8

Good day all. Had the opportunity this weekend to witness some embarrassing cake snobbery in action! I attended an event that a friend of mine who owns a venue hosted. I had the chance to see some of the best of the best (IMHO). Well, that was until one of the "best" was snubbing brides, literally. Now I couldn't figure out why someone would take the time to come set up a booth to showcase their product and then start snubbing potential clients. Absolute nonsense. I heard from my friend later that some of the potential clients were complaining so my friend said she has no choice now but to let this person go from her referral list. I know for a fact that business was being thrown at the person consistently. My friend said she really didn't know much about her except she was one of the "best". I don't know. What do you all think? At the end of the day, the client is who matters, so what would you all do in that situation? I didn't give my opinion, except I told her what I saw personally, not what I thought. I don't interfere in other folks' business. I was really disappointed because I've heard for years that this person was the go-to for cakes and I was a secret admirer of their work too because it is really good. But I guess none of that matters if you treat people like you don't need their business. After a while, you'll certainly start losing business with a stank attitude. Just my opinion. Feel free to share.

7 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 8

Sadly it's true, some get too big for their britches in this business. It sounds like someone I had the misfortune of meeting once. Oh well. That speaks to their poor upbringing, not mine! icon_biggrin.gif

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 8

Maybe this person was just having a bad day....it happens. None of us are "on" every second of every day.

If (s)he's considered "one of the best" they must be doing something right. I wouldn't read too much into it.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 8

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Sounds like typical wedding business BS. Everyone keeps mental lists about everyone else, everyone judges everyone else, blah blah blah. It's middle school.

If you're rude then people who think you're rude won't hire you. But if you do good work then people will hire you. If being rude was a business-killer then some of the biggest bakeries in my town would have been out of business years ago.

CrumblesConfections Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 8

You all are right. I just hope when I make it up there I don't get like that. I know people can get on your nerves with their ridiculous questions and demands, but I hope I can always remain professional and not give off a snobbish vibe to people. That's not something I would want people saying about me in the business because people tend to get intimidated and won't even consult you. Don't wanna lose business over perceptions.

CrumblesConfections Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 8

Did I mention that the decorator got ticked at the event coordinator for inviting other decorators??? Just thought I'd add that little tidbit.

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 8

Perhaps the decorator could be tired of Bridezillas and is showing her "Don't mess with me" side up front?? It's a shame when someone knows they are very good at what they do and act like it. I hope she was just having an off day!

CrumblesConfections Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 8:13pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by knlcox

Perhaps the decorator could be tired of Bridezillas and is showing her "Don't mess with me" side up front?? It's a shame when someone knows they are very good at what they do and act like it. I hope she was just having an off day!

It's all ruined for me. It's kinda like meeting your teen heart throb and then seeing they are really 5'2" in person and actually has real human characteristics. LOL. Your image of them is better when you don't really know who they are. I won't let that stop me from admiring the work, but it did put a blemish on the whole thing for me. Guess I have unrealistic expectations. I know I know. I should know better. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%