jlcalvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcalvert Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 6

How do you store left over Royal Icing?

5 replies
glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 6

You can store it in the frig for a couple of week, or in the freezer. The book I have doesn't say how long it's good for in the freezer, but just says that it can stored in the freezer until you need it again --- so I'm thinking it a long time.

Hope this helps,
Tammy

Brenda1677 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brenda1677 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 6

you can store it in an airtight grease free bowl at room temperature for 2 weeks

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 6

I haven't worked with RI that much, but the few times I made it and stored it at room temp, it separated and got spongy. I've read that's fine, as long as you just re-mix, but it looks too nasty for me to comfortably use again icon_wink.gif

My sense is to store it in the fridge short term or the freezer long term.

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 6

I use royal icing out of the freezer all the time. I mix up a batch, color it if I know what colors I will need, portion into small containers and pop in the freezer. Take out as needed. Defrosts super quick. It does look spongy when you first take it up, but just use a small spatula or spoon to fluff it back up and you're good to go! So much easier than having to always be making a new batch, especially if you only need a little at a time. icon_wink.gif

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrlt2000

I haven't worked with RI that much, but the few times I made it and stored it at room temp, it separated and got spongy. I've read that's fine, as long as you just re-mix, but it looks too nasty for me to comfortably use again icon_wink.gif

My sense is to store it in the fridge short term or the freezer long term.

Irlt2000 - that's what happens to me (I live in Phoenix Arizona -- Very Hot), so I don't feel comfortable leaving it out on the counter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%