Cake Is Making My Brain Hurt!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 20 Aug 2011 , 3:18am by step0nmi

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 1:35am
post #1 of 7

I am getting kinda nervous about giving a quote for this cake...I KNOW it needs to be $300+ icon_lol.gif
but i've never carved a bodice top like this cake and I'm not sure how much to use or how many it could feed. ANY ADVICE? cake needs to feed 150. This quinceanera is like a wedding! icon_surprised.gificon_rolleyes.gif

http://tinypic.com/r/mrslqr/7

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 1:39am
post #2 of 7

$300? More like $850, delivered.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 1:44am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

$300? More like $850, delivered.

Ditto. That cake is a ton of work--you will be kicking yourself while making it, if you don't price it for more than $300.

step0nmi Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 1:51am
post #4 of 7

really!? it didn't look like a ton of work for me :p was thinking that the bottom cakes would be buttercream since it would be mostly covered...oh, and they want magenta tulle and not the white.

how many cakes would be used for the top? that is what i'm trying to wrap my head around, but even on paper i can't figure it out :p

Lili5768 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lili5768 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 2:16am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

how many cakes would be used for the top? that is what i'm trying to wrap my head around, but even on paper i can't figure it out :p

i would calculate how big was the top,in inches, then how many cakes will get you that.

For example if the bodice is a foot tall, that's 12 inches so you would need 4 three inch rounds or 6 two inch rounds etc.

That's just my newbie opinion, I've never done anything of this scope, I'm just thinking how I might do it, but I know there are experienced cakers here that can better help you. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:04am
post #6 of 7

The cake needs to feed 150 people and you want to only charge $300?!? That's $2 a slice!! For that amount of work. Try doubling that at the very least. thumbs_up.gif

step0nmi Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:18am
post #7 of 7

oh nooo! i meant at least for the bottom part...sorry icon_sad.gif

I think Leah is right...this is probably an $800 cake! I dunno if i even want to attempt it. the top alone is going to need it's own separate support system :p

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%