Is It The Food Mixer?

Baking By janbabe Updated 19 Aug 2011 , 8:02pm by janbabe

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 5

I have just bought myself a new kenwood mixer as old one didnt have enough capacity. Well I've done a batch of cupcakes exactly how I have always made them but this time they all sunk in the middle. So I made another batch and it happened again! Could it be my new mixer? If so I'm really peed off. My old mixer was fairly slow mix but did wonderful cakes, now my new one which I bought to have the bigger bowl and power doesnt seem to be doing the job.

Am I missing something here? I dont overmix (the mixer is much faster than the old one tho') and oven temps are what I normally use.

I have a couple of wedding cakes in the next few days to do and am dreading mixing up the batter for them in case they dont rise.

Any suggestions at all? Did read somewhere not to overbeat as it knocks the air out, but I'm only doing normal mixing, not doing it for ages and am fairly sure I'm not overbeating.

4 replies
coleslawcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coleslawcat Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 5

You mentioned our new mixer is faster so it could be beating in too much air. I would just try mixing it even less than you have been. It can take a few tries to get used to new equipment.

janbabe Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 5

I did think that and reading books which came with it, one says using K beater or whisk, start on no 2 or 3 for butter & sugar and eggs then 1 for folding in flour. Another one says start on low then fairly quickly using the k beater turn to max for sugar & butter and eggs then lower for flour.

talk about confused! thought using it basically the same as my old one would be fine!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 5

I always use the lowest setting and mix for about half the time I normally would for a hand mixer. Then sometimes I will go back with a whisk and do a few strokes by hand to make sure everything is well blended.

janbabe Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 5

I will try the low setting tomorrow say 2 or 3,then 1 for the flour, but still making me feel nervous about it.

I've done cakes for years and have always been luck and had no disasters like this at all. Think its because I'm not sure exactly the cause or how to fix it.

Thanks for your advice so far guys. x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%