Great British Bake Off

Lounge By Irish_Sue Updated 7 Sep 2011 , 11:08am by Irish_Sue

Irish_Sue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish_Sue Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 15

For any UK/Ireland folks - the Great British Bake Off is back on BBC 2. First episode was last night and the contestants had 5 hours to complete a tiered 'show stopper' cake from scratch! They had other challenges too, but this I think was the toughest.

14 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 15

I was going to apply to be on it but I haven't tried doing any savoury baking. I think with careful planning and not over stretching the difficulty and amount of decorations a two tier cake in 5 hours wouldn't be too hard.

Irish_Sue Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 15

No, I totally agree that you could get a tiered cake done in 5 hours with careful planning. Some of these guys don't do the careful planning though which always makes me wonder why they go on something like this.

I have moments of thinking about applying but then I think I probably take criticism a bit personally and have a hard time keeping calm as I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist.

Valkstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valkstar Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 15

I loved it last year....delighted it's back on icon_biggrin.gif

I wasn't too impressed with the cupcakes....the bouquet was atrocious!

The Sky+ is set so I don't miss any of it.

LisaPeps Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 11:45pm
post #5 of 15

Some of the tiered cakes where atrocious too! The two tier chocolate cake with the chocolate truffles you could see through the cake because she didn't cut the dowels right!! And you could see the silver cake board (not the drum, the thin ones!) It looked nice apart from that though...

I love to hate the two presenters, they make me laugh but they grate on my nerves.

Irish_Sue Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 10:24am
post #6 of 15

Ah I really like the presenters, they know what they are talking about and don't come across condescending when telling people where they went wrong. Plus Paul has beautiful eyes icon_wink.gif

Not sure I agree with some of the decisions so far though with who should go - Rob is riding his luck I think, he must have a healthy dose of Irish in his genes icon_biggrin.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 11:13am
post #7 of 15

I'd employ Rob, not only because he would be a lovely bit of eye candy for my working day, but his knowledge and the baking he does is technically superior to the rest of them. His problem is lack of planning/time management & nervous clumsiness lol! Did you know that (part) of the prize is a place at Peggy Porschen's academy? Great if you are interested in cake decorating, but not so much if you're more interested in real pastry training (like many of the guys are)!

I don't think any of them are standing out as the winner though - they are either swinging between really good & really bad weeks, or just plodding along in the middle of the road!

sharon24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon24 Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 11:27am
post #8 of 15

I am loving it, that and Torchwood are the only reason to own a TV!

I do think Rob is a bumbling idiot though.

I have liked it on my facebook and get all the updates, very interesting

Valkstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valkstar Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 11:55am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Sue

Ah I really like the presenters, they know what they are talking about and don't come across condescending when telling people where they went wrong. Plus Paul has beautiful eyes icon_wink.gif

He has beautiful blue eyes....rest of him isn't bad either icon_evil.gificon_wink.gif

Irish_Sue Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 12:38pm
post #10 of 15

[/quote]He has beautiful blue eyes....rest of him isn't bad either

Quote:
Quote:

Too right! Look up silver fox in the dictionary and there is a picture of Paul icon_lol.gif

I don't think I could work with Rob at all, his approach to everything is so unplanned and disorganised that I would just constantly be worried that he wasn't going to deliver. I'm hoping it is just that he is nervous and stressed but I feel that if he keeps going the way he is going then it would be wrong to keep him in at the expense of others, however the judges ovbiously see something in him and I respect their decision and I can see that they both have their concerns with him so I trust that if he doesn't 'pull up his socks' they will show him the door.

Jason is the one to watch for me I think.

mgj_jda71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgj_jda71 Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 12:58pm
post #11 of 15

what channel was it?

LisaPeps Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 1:20pm
post #12 of 15

Paul is a silver fox and rob is cute... My age too :p should have applied lol

Irish_Sue Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 2:53pm
post #13 of 15

Realised my quoting has gone awry - I really should pay more attention, it was all the Paul talk obviously distracting me icon_evil.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 7:52pm
post #14 of 15

Paul may have pretty eyes, but he's full of himself, can't stand him!

Irish_Sue Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 11:08am
post #15 of 15

Cookies and macaroons last night. Some really nice looking biscuits going on and some seriously disastrous macaroons!!

I've had lavander cake and *hate* it so I know I wouldn't have liked the lavander cookies, but then I don't like flower flavoured things at all - no rose water, violet creams though I can sometimes be persuaded into a very good quality turkish delight icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%