2" Or 3" Deep?

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 18 Aug 2011 , 3:29pm by FullHouse

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 5:34am
post #1 of 9

I'm slowly acquiring more pans and have a question - does it matter if I get 3" but only fill it with a 2" amt of batter? Just wondering if the taller sides somehow interfere with oven airflow if there's a smaller amt of batter in it... does this make sense?

I was looking at some 9" rounds and need to figure out if I should just go with the 2" or if the 3" would be more versatile.... ?

8 replies
ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 7:02am
post #2 of 9

I prefer the 3" pans simply because I can put more in if I want a taller cake. You are more limited with the 2". I have not had any problems with baking less in a 3" pan.

btrsktch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btrsktch Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 9

You can collar a 2" cake to get more height out of it, so you are not really limited there.

I personally think the 2" is more versatile because you can scale it up or down. To each thier own, so you probably won't get a 'best use' answer!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 9

I have mostly 2in pans with the exception of the 8x3.

I prefer the two inch pans myself. Not sure how they are more limiting.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 9

I haVe the 3 inch pans, but I agree, then two inch pans collared would be more versatile. I like my cakes tall, so I got yhr 3 inch pans.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 9

I prefer 2". I no longer own any 3", I look back on the 3" pans as a bad learning episode at the beginning of my "cake career" icon_smile.gif

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 9

Hmmmmm..... so, really what's the difference other than you can put more in the 3"? Why wouldn't it be better to have slightly bigger in case you wanted to make it bigger, or if it happened to rise higher? Is it just harder to remove with the taller sides?

(And then please tell me why the 3" Magic Line on Amazon is over $3 CHEAPER than the 2"?! Maybe because no one wants them?? icon_confused.gif )

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 3:18pm
post #8 of 9

I prefer the 3" pans especially when I need to make a taller cake. This way I can use 2 3" cake layers as opposed to 3 2" layers. This is just a personal preference however.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 3:29pm
post #9 of 9

I definitely prefer 2" pans. The only 3" pans I own are because they were given to me as a gift, I will use them but will only buy 2". I like to fill one 2" pan 2/3-3/4 full then the other just under 1/2 full. I torte the taller cake so I have 3 layers of cake, 2 layers of filling. My cakes are always 4" tall this way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%