Delivering My First Wedding Cake At A Venue

Business By yummy_in_my_tummy Updated 18 Aug 2011 , 3:37am by yummy_in_my_tummy

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 5

SORRY! I accidentally posted this in another form!!

Hi Everyone! I'm delivering my first wedding cake to an actual venue and I have no idea what the steps are... I was hoping some of the cake pros could help

Two items of disclosure before I ask questions: 1. I am completely legal, and 2. I've done a search here on CC and haven't found what I'm looking for!

So here it goes:

* Who is responsible for scheduling the delivery with the venue? Me, right?
* If so, who do I contact at the venue to schedule it? The catering mngr?
* Will they, right off the bat, tell me if they need to be listed as Additional Insured on my insurance policy, or is that common knowledge that I'm already supposed to know?
* Do you make sure that someone from the bridal party is there to sign off on the delivery?
* Approximately how far in advance from the reception do you deliver? 2 hrs? 1 hr?

Any insight and help is appreciated! Thanks!!

4 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 5

A lot of these questions will depend on the bride. Sometimes I contact the catering manager at the venue, in other cases it will be the wedding coordinator, and sometimes the bride will be the point of contact if it's a more informal event. The designated delivery time is indicated in the contract with the bride, it's typically 1-2 hours before the reception starts. I get a signature on the delivery invoice (after taking a picture of the completed cake of course) from the person who accepts delivery, whether that's the bride, wedding planner, or venue catering manager.

I've never had a venue ask me to be listed as additional insured on my insurance policy.

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:13am
post #3 of 5

Thanks jason_kraft!! Does anyone else have any feedback or info for me?

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:32am
post #4 of 5

For me it depends on the venue.

If it's one I've never delivered to before I phone them myself and speak to the contact person who can answer my questions about the delivery...

i.e. what entrance to use, are there stairs, an elevator, what time can I bring the cake in, will the table be set up and ready for me to place the cake, etc.

I also ask if they need anything from me as far as my proof of license and insurance.

Sometimes if I'm really not sure of the location, I'll drive out to it a week ahead of time just so I'll know exactly where I'm going....I'm anal like that. lol

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 3:37am
post #5 of 5

Awesome, thank you! I'll make sure I ask questions that like icon_smile.gif I appreciate it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%