Best Way To Do Letters Out Of Fondant?

Decorating By jenabbott00 Updated 21 Aug 2011 , 2:16am by kittiboo

jenabbott00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenabbott00 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 16

What is the best way to do fondant letters? I am not very good at freehand and the cookie cutters I found were to big and the letter cutters from the craft store are to little and bland. I am looking for some pretty font letters.

Thanks

15 replies
cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 16

If you have a specific font in mind, maybe you could buy some stencil sheets and an exacto knife and cut your own stencils. Or if you can find a stencil with the particular font you want, you could cut them out with an exacto knife. Some of the finer lettering that you see on here has been done with the cricut cutting systems or other cutting systems. If this is out of your budget, like it is for me being a hobby baker, you could try the stencils.

LaBellaTorta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaTorta Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 16

I am not sure if you can get them in the US, but in the UK I use FMM Tappits with gumpaste. Essentially cutters in different fonts that are really easy to use (with a little practice) and you can have the paste super thin so it looks really elegant.

Here is a link to the UK site - http://www.fmmsugarcraft.com/pages/browse.php?cat=4

nicoles0419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0419 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 16

you can type what you want on "word" or "notepad" on the computer print, cut and trace with an exacto knife

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:41am
post #5 of 16

I use the tappits. I just roll my fondant out really thin and let it dry over night. Then I go back and cut and the fondant "taps" right out.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:51am
post #6 of 16

I love clix stix.

jenabbott00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenabbott00 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 16

Thanks! I was looking into possibly getting the mini cricut cake but I'm not sure if it would be worth the money. I think I'm gonna try the stencil idea and maybe look into some tappit's.

Clix stix? I'm gonna have to google that one. icon_smile.gif

All4Show Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 16

I ordered mine from Global Sugar Art.

All4Show Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 16

They have a 10% off sale right now. You'll love them.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 6:22pm
post #10 of 16

All4Show,

I tried to Google clix stix but only music links came up?

Can you provide more information?

Thanks,
Tammy

edited to add: I tried to do a search on Global Sugar, but nothing came up?

msfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msfun Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 10:47pm
post #11 of 16

Order from Calijava

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 11:30pm
post #12 of 16

I think it's ClickStix, one word. Global Sugar Art is running a promotion on them right now. Just go to their main page and look for the photo with ClickStix under it.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 11:43pm
post #13 of 16

If you're going to get a cricut use frosting sheets from icingimages. They cut much cleaner then fondant or gumpaste and less time consuming.

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 12:31am
post #14 of 16

ClickStix are awesome. I also purchased mine from Global Sugar Art. They are by a company called Windsor. Tappits are fantastis too!!

EnglishCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnglishCakeLady Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 12:58am
post #15 of 16

I bought some great cutters on eBay from Malaysia! Cheaper than buying online locally, even with international shipping. Go to eBay and search for 'alphabet cookie cutters.' I also have Tappits upper and lower case and love them for smaller letters. I use with fondants and actually find the stickier fondants like Duff easier to work with. With MMF, I leave to dry like other poster and brush the Tappits with cornstarch first.

kittiboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kittiboo Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 2:16am
post #16 of 16

I struggled today with freehanding some letters- I am totally getting some clikstix!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%