Hi Ratio Shortening Problem. Help

Decorating By KMKakes Updated 17 Aug 2011 , 9:00pm by FullHouse

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 7

I just purchased a new tub of hi-ratio shortening to find that it isn't white but a cross between the color of light orange sherbet and yellow butter. I have about a 1/4 cup of hi ratio shortening from my previous tub and it is actually white. Is this normal? Has this happened to anyone else?

6 replies
knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 7

I have never had a bucket of HR look like what you've described. I would take it back to the store or call the company if you ordered it online and ask questions about it. I wouldn't want my buttercream looking orange-yellow. Maybe they can get you a fresher batch and not one that's been sitting around for awhile.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 7

nah, something's wrong with it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 7

Wait. The Alpine C (made from Canola oil) isn't white, but creamy. is that it?

KMKakes Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 7

This particular brand is from CK products. I called the store and they told me to bring it in so they could look at it. They don't normally do refunds or exchanges on their cake decorating products. So nonetheless the exchange or refund is not guaranteed. The store is located 45 minutes away. I called CK products and the operator mentioned that they would have to talk to someone on their team about it and give me a return phone call. icon_cry.gif The shortening was pretty expensive for a 3lb tub more than less to say the gas for me to turn around and go back for maybe or maybe not exchange of product icon_cry.gif

KMKakes Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 7

I finally got a reply from the company as to why the product is the color that it is. The batch of shortening was actually packaged on a line that accidentally didn't clean the machine between packaging orange buttercream and the white hi-ratio shortening. My hi-ratio shortening is,however, safe to eat (they were able to tell me the date it was packaged and gave the okay to use it), considering the store said no replacement or refund could be given since their policy states all sales are final. Whew!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 9:00pm
post #7 of 7

Even though it is still safe to eat, I would insist on a refund from either the store or CK. Even if the stores policy is no refunds, this is a different situation. You were not given the product as the package was labeled (white hi-ratio) and it will be difficult to get accurate colors and impossible to get white icing with what you have. I'm surprised CK Products didn't offer to rectify the situation, I have a direct account with them and called just today with a claim for a defective product (not hi-ratio), they immediately agreed to send a replacement today and apologized.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%