Sweet Wise In Nashville

Decorating By crimesofparis Updated 18 Aug 2011 , 11:52pm by cherrycakes

crimesofparis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimesofparis Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 13

Has anyone ever taken a class from Sweet Wise in Nashville on decorating? I know they have a bunch of them. The other week they had a Groupon on their fondant classes, but I missed out on it (dang!). Today another site is running a discount on their buttercream classes:

http://www.dealchicken.com/nashville-tn

Apparently it never expires. What do you guys think? Worth it? I live near Nashville so I should probably just go for it. I'm a really newbie to cake decorating.

12 replies
sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 13

I've never taken one there, but I love to shop there. I know some people that have taken them and have spoken very highly of them. The great thing about their classes, I think, even though I have never taken one is that they provide alot of the stuff that you need and don't have to make a large investment to find out you don't like cake decorating. The folks that work there are very helpful and nice.

Christy

nanny4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanny4 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 13

I have taken several classes there and they are reallly great! Kathy is a wonderfully sweet, caring person & is so good to take time & answer ALL your questions. Sweetwise also has a good line of supplies at the store in Nashville & also have a good online store too. I have shopped in person & online and I think you'll enjoy it. icon_biggrin.gif

crimesofparis Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 13

Christy,

Thanks for the reply, I'm sold on this! It's cool that they supply all the stuff!

crimesofparis Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanny4

I have taken several classes there and they are reallly great! Kathy is a wonderfully sweet, caring person & is so good to take time & answer ALL your questions. Sweetwise also has a good line of supplies at the store in Nashville & also have a good online store too. I have shopped in person & online and I think you'll enjoy it. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm glad to hear that! Are you going to buy the deal? Which of their other classes are good?

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 6:43pm
post #6 of 13

I've taken one class there (Introduction to Pulled and Blown Sugar) and I absolutely loved it. John was our instructor and he was just wonderful. The whole thing was very informative, but very laid back and easy going. I loved getting to go through the shop after class too! Quite literally I was like a kid in a candy shop. I live in Murfreesboro, and I have to force myself to not drive there on a weekly basis. I'd blow my grocery budget on toys if I did!

crimesofparis Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 6:49pm
post #7 of 13

Sammie,

That site running the deal says that John used to be a marine or something like that, hilarious!

nanny4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanny4 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 8:24pm
post #8 of 13

I have taken several classes, buttercream, fondant 1 & 2, Topsy Turvy and enjoyed allicon_smile.gif

TerriLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TerriLynn Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 8:50pm
post #9 of 13

I have taken Fondant I and Extreme Cookies and Cupcakes (that class was a lot of fun and I had a Groupon). Nice to see so many people from Nashville on CakeCentral! icon_biggrin.gif

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 8:53pm
post #10 of 13

Really? That's funny. Of course that didn't come up in class, but at what point would it? No good transition from pulling sugar to military topics. Unless you just REALLY want to talk about it. He was so nice. I even have just put a couple of afterthought questions on their facebook page and they answered them within a day or two. I really do love them!

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 4:16pm
post #11 of 13

I think that they are doing an air brush class this weekend. icon_smile.gif Oh, how I would love to go. Alas, it's not in the budget right now. icon_smile.gif

secondbase Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
secondbase Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 4:53pm
post #12 of 13

Another Nashvillian here. Haven't taken any courses, but would love to. The shop is about five minutes from my house. DANGEROUS!!

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 11:52pm
post #13 of 13

Just out of curiosity...did they recently change ownership? My husband and I were in Nashville in '09 for a Valentine's weekend and I stopped by Sweetwise to pick up some new toys. I was disappointed that I was basically ignored even though I mentioned that we were from Canada and that I had been in touch with them via email even before coming to the store. I had several questions and they just couldn't be bothered to answer them fully. It just seems that now there's so many wonderful tutorials and products coming from the business that it makes me wonder if something has changed since I was there?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%