Logistics Of Refrigerating Smbc-Filled Cake With Fondant

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 18 Aug 2011 , 5:45pm by imagenthatnj

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 12:31am
post #1 of 8

I usually let me cakes sit out once covered in fondant, but since I've started using SMBC, I've had to rethink that routine! It seems like now my cakes sag, shift, or bulge with the SMBC inside (which I can only assume has melted to room temp.)

Others have suggested I should be keeping any SMBC filled cake refrigerated until one hour before serving. How can I ensure my fondant won't sweat, dissolve or otherwise act up!? I use homemade MMF.

Any thoughts, experience, tips? Thanks! icon_rolleyes.gif

7 replies
athenarose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
athenarose Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 12:50am
post #2 of 8

Hello! I was just on here asking some SMBC questions myself, thinking of switching from normal buttercream if I can. Now I don't know much about SMBC but I did test out MMF in and out the fridge testing to see if it would sweat, dry out the cake or look different at all. The end results was I saw NO difference between my fondant in the fridge and at room temp. I made 5 single layer 6 inch rounds (2 were chocolate MMF) different flavor cakes (white and chocolate) and I decorated them with BC,RI, different colored fondant flowers, edible pearls, airbrushed, edible pens, edible glaze. I think I tried just about anything you would use on a cake (minus GP) to see if any of it got ruin and none of it did. These were the ugliest cakes ever cause of everything I put on them. Since than I normally put my cake i nthe fridge to store it if I got the room, sometimes my boards are to big. I HTH!

lrlt2000 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 8

Wow thanks! I was always so nervous to try! I let my 7 year old decorate a small 4" cake last week that was still a little frozen when she put her fondant on. It started to get moist on the top, but then dried. Thanks for your help! For how long do you refrigerate after fully decorated? What about dark colored fondant decoration? Does that bleed from the moisture?

athenarose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
athenarose Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 8

Is this something you need to know right now? Like does it involve a cake over the next week? I only ask cause I got company coming in town today and they will be here for a week. After that I was going to put something together on a blog about that fondant test and I might have some answers about SMBC by than too. I will private message you with a link or post it on here when I actually do it. Been meaning to do it.

lrlt2000 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you! Yes, I have a cake I'm working on now, but I have two big ones next week for which it would also be helpful to know icon_smile.gif

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 5:09pm
post #6 of 8

How hot is it in your workspace? Something's not right.

seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 8

I made a grad cake this summer and they wanted SMBC fillings. I usually make American buttercream (butter, powdered sugar, evap milk) I put the cake in the fridge after covering with MMF. It was a really hot day when I took the cake out of the fridge and it sweat a lot. Everything stayed I place but it took easily 4 hours to dry out. I didnt put a fan on it but that maybe would have made it dry faster.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 5:45pm
post #8 of 8

BlakesCakes posted this not too long ago about freezing cakes, if anyone missed it.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7185777.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%