Painting Styrafoam Castles

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 20 Aug 2011 , 8:11pm by MissCakeCrazy

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 8

Can someone please tell me what sort of paint I will need to paint on a castle cake topper? I have paste colours, can I just dilute them with alcohol? How can I prevent it from looking blotchly?

7 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 8

So, are you painting on styrofoam?

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 8

I had to paint one of those castle toppers a few years back. I used non-toxic acrylic from the craft store so that it would last a long time after the wedding. I know they can be painted with those cake food color sprays.
I would test first anything you use. HTH

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1247911

MissCakeCrazy Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 8

http://www.rainbowsugarcraft.co.uk/shop/Fairytale_Castle.htm

This ia the link to the cake topper, its made of foam.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks Hamsquad, thats the same topper I would be using. I don't have time to experiement as its for this week and need something that is simple to paint. Isn't a normal paste colour Ok then?

HamSquad Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 10:30pm
post #6 of 8

Hello, do have any Styrofoam pieces from packing from any boxes, even the styro packing materials to test? You could try a little of the paint on the bottom of castle for a test. I never tried just gel colors. I have some Styrofoam cake dummies here not being used. I'll go and test and see what happens. I will give the results today if possible. Now, I'm curious.

HamSquad Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 8

MissCakeCrazy I've just tested the Wilton paste color in purple with lemon extract and I've also tested with powder food color (red) mixed with the lemon extract also. To me the powder looked better, but both did not give a smooth appearance like the acrylic paint will give. Look at my pictures that I've posed. Best Wishes

MissCakeCrazy Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 8:11pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%