My White Chocolate Isn't Melting Right

Baking By Vanessa7 Updated 14 Aug 2011 , 1:09am by platinumlady

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 12:07am
post #1 of 4

I am trying to melt white chocolate and coat a candy mold but am really having some trouble. The first batch I tried to melt in the microwave and must have heated it way too much because it didn't get runny at all. The next batch I heated in a double boiler and it melted but wasn't runny enough to pour into my candy molds
http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_S5B1
(Mod edited to provide working link.)

Does white chocolate melt differently than chocolate? Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? I don't want to waste any more chocolate wafers if possible.

3 replies
Lili5768 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lili5768 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 12:52am
post #2 of 4

A while back my daughter bought some to make hello kitty pops an it also never melted. There seemed to be something wrong with the entire bag. She tried adding the crystals also but it was a no go. The other colors melted fine.

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 12:53am
post #3 of 4

Are you using real white chocolate or white chips? white chocolate should not be heated over 110. it will burn easily.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 1:09am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed

white chocolate should not be heated over 110. it will burn easily.

This was my first thought when reading this. White chocolate should be heated in increments. Especially when using the Microwave. It's always melted the best/fastest for me. If I heat on high....I use 30 sec increments stirring each time the 30 secs is up. If you have to re heat it....then reheat at 15 sec increments.

If you use defrost setting on your microwave you can go for 1 1/2 min ... 1st time only....then switch to 30 sec increments ..

Once it burns it get hard & at 1st glance you would think it hadn't melted at all. And when using the double boiler method make sure no water gets into the chocolate to prevent seizing

HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%