I am trying to melt white chocolate and coat a candy mold but am really having some trouble. The first batch I tried to melt in the microwave and must have heated it way too much because it didn't get runny at all. The next batch I heated in a double boiler and it melted but wasn't runny enough to pour into my candy molds
(Mod edited to provide working link.)
Does white chocolate melt differently than chocolate? Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? I don't want to waste any more chocolate wafers if possible.
A while back my daughter bought some to make hello kitty pops an it also never melted. There seemed to be something wrong with the entire bag. She tried adding the crystals also but it was a no go. The other colors melted fine.
Are you using real white chocolate or white chips? white chocolate should not be heated over 110. it will burn easily.
white chocolate should not be heated over 110. it will burn easily.
This was my first thought when reading this. White chocolate should be heated in increments. Especially when using the Microwave. It's always melted the best/fastest for me. If I heat on high....I use 30 sec increments stirring each time the 30 secs is up. If you have to re heat it....then reheat at 15 sec increments.
If you use defrost setting on your microwave you can go for 1 1/2 min ... 1st time only....then switch to 30 sec increments ..
Once it burns it get hard & at 1st glance you would think it hadn't melted at all. And when using the double boiler method make sure no water gets into the chocolate to prevent seizing