My 12" Cake Erupted During Baking

Baking By Honeypudding Updated 14 Aug 2011 , 10:43am by AnnieCahill

Honeypudding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeypudding Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 4

NO kidding... it started to spit out the batter nearing the end of the baking time.

Now I have a failed cake and a massive clean up to do.

I can only be thankful that I tried it today or else on the day of the actual making of the birthday cake, i will definitely cry...

so what went wrong?

I tripled my batter for the 6" cake ... I used the 6" pan and filled it withe water and filled up the 12" pan. I needed 3 times as much... or am I doing it all wrong?

sob sob... pls help icon_sad.gif

This birthday cake costs me lots of money, in terms of getting the tools for the fondant and also the many trials. All these just because this particular lady do not want to pay hundreds for the cake and thought that if she was to pay that much she rather give me to opportunity to do it ( save half her money ... but not mine)...

i am tired... now ... plus depressed.

3 replies
Kaykaymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaykaymay Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 4

You should post the recipe you used and maybe someone will be able to point you in the right direction. Just a guess but it might be too much rising agent in the batter. Also you said you "filled" the pan. How much did you fill it exactly?? It's supposed to be about 2/3's max.

Honeypudding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeypudding Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 10:33am
post #3 of 4

thanks....

today, I doubled the portion rather than triple it ... i feel so duh....

next time, i shall share the recipe for this triple chocolate cake. seems like it is my husband's fave.

now, I need to sleep ...

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 10:43am
post #4 of 4

This used to happen a long time ago whenever I made a chocolate cake (box or scratch) but now I just use less in the pan and it works out well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%