Black Fondant

Baking By Charmed Updated 14 Aug 2011 , 1:07am by tiptop57

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 2:09am
post #1 of 9

I am having trouble coloring fondant black. I melted 1oz of chocolate and added to a Lb of rolled fondant that I made the day before. I then added americolor black and some red color. Right now it is a grey color ( I will let it rest so it will be darker). it got soft so I added some pwd sugar and now it is not elastic anymore. any advice, tips or tricks on how to color fondant black without so much headache!! ( beside buying a pre-colored one icon_biggrin.gif )

8 replies
KalisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KalisCakes Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 2:22am
post #2 of 9

check this recipe out: hope it helps!!! http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6971/true-black-mmf

lilcupcake0309 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilcupcake0309 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 9

I hate making black fondant, especially when you have to make a lot. It requires a lot of black coloring... just keep adding until you have the right color. It looks greyish purplish for a while. I usually color a little at a time and that seems to work.

cakeastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeastic Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 9

You should really buy black fondant if you want true, deep black

KakeMistress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeMistress Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 9

I tried making my own black and red fondant before and what a nightmare, it was so soft that no matter what I did it just stuck to the table I was rolling out on. I just take on the added expense of buying the premade tubs. at michels with a coupon its around 11 or 12 dollars. good luck

lschmitz05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lschmitz05 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 9

I have made black before and had to use a lot of coloring... but it eventually got to the true black that I wanted. I also make my own fondant and found that instead of using powdersugar as a base for kneading my fondant I use Crisco - I just put a thin layer on the counter with paper towel and I no longer have trouble with it sticking. Just keep working with it and adding the coloring! Good luck

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 9

I tried to make black once and it didn't turn out and I had to throw it all away. After that I just bought a 5 lb tub which works perfectly especially since there always seems to be a need for black fondant.

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 12:36am
post #8 of 9

I will make another batch and this time I will put the color in the gelatine mix and before adding pwd sugar. I had made another batch of black fondant and it was sticking soo much so I kept adding more and more crisco but I think too much crisco just takes out the elasticity.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 1:07am
post #9 of 9

If you check out my gallery of really old cakes you will see I have really rich reds, burgandy's and lots of black. I like dark colours. You have to add powdered sugar. (No corn starch as it changes the flavor.) It helps get rid of the sticky. I also use a bench knife to lift the fondant off the table. Now you may wonder how I get black, I mix red and blue and green until I get a really ugly grey colour. Then I add black, Easy peasy. Now to get really rich reds, I add black to the color. Yep that's right black. Look at my avatar. That has black added to the burgandy. Then I let is sit out overnight to grow richer in color. HTH.

This works for me and........don't know if it is right, but thats how I teach my students.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%