How Do You Get Perfectly Smooth Edges On Fondant Cakes??

Decorating By earthlyfey Updated 12 Aug 2011 , 3:23pm by shuswapcakes

earthlyfey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
earthlyfey Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 7:27am
post #1 of 3

Hello All- This is my first time here and I just finished a cake today that was covered in MM fondant after doing a buttercream crumb coat. The cake stil looked bumpy a bit and the edges were still not sooth. i am wondering how people get these perfectly shaped cakes with the wonderfu 90 degree edges?? Any advice. i am a beginner and yes pracice but I have made about 5-7 cakes and always have this problem.

Thank you icon_lol.gif

2 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 7:55am
post #2 of 3

Ganache or a meringue based buttercreams. Ganache sets hard and meringue based buttercreams can be chilled (because of the butter content) until they are hard, giving you a crisp edge and a firm base to apply the fondant to. You then use 2 fondant smoothers to push the fondant into the crisp edge. You also need to use a bench scraper when doing your ganache/buttercream coat so that you get perfectly straight side edges.

HTH

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 3

Hi! I find it's important to make sure your crumb coat is very smooth, because this is the foundation for your fondant. I do a light crumb coat (buttercream icing) first, stick my cake in the fridge for about half an hour. Then I take it out, smooth it with a long metal spatula that's been ran under hot water - this really seems to help smooth out all the tiny lines, cracks, etc... and then I do a second, thicker crumb coat and repeat. Before I started doing it this way the same thing was happening to me, things were rather lumpy and not the "crips" look I was going for! Also, you will need fondant smoothers like the previous poster said, they work great for getting any lumps out! HTH icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%