Duff Black Fondant - Help!

Decorating By kger Updated 12 Aug 2011 , 8:29pm by lilmissbakesalot

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 1:03am
post #1 of 19

Is it just me, or does this stuff SUCK??!! I've been messing with it for more than an hour and I can not get it to a workable consistency. Crisco, PS, kneading, NOTHING! It's way too soft and tears instantly. I wish I'd just made mmf and took my chances dyeing it. I thought I was saving time by buying it. But this is pure dreck.

Any tips?

18 replies
kater82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kater82 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 1:15am
post #2 of 19

I love Duff stuff black. On the side of the container it says to microwave for a few seconds on like power 3 or something and it was fine for me.

kater82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kater82 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 1:16am
post #3 of 19

just re read your post. its too soft! woops. sorry. I never had a problem with it. Sorry for your frustration.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 1:22am
post #4 of 19

It's probably too warm. It's basically candy clay, so when it gets too warm it sort of falls apart. Leave it alone for a while and come back to it. Pop it in the fridge if you want... just for a bit... and see if it comes back for you.

I don't care for the stuff, but you shoudl be able to get ti to work for you.

kger Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:17am
post #5 of 19

Ok, just got it to where I thought it would behave. Rolled it out: elephant skin! Decided to peel it back up and work it some more and it was sticking all over my vinyl. This stuff is awful. I've learned my lesson. Satin ice all the way. Just hope I can get this crap to cover my 14" tonight.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:36am
post #6 of 19

I think we all must have a way with certain brands. Our techniques must just fit with some and not with others. I have the same problem with SI and Duff's is always great. I do keep mine at about 70 degrees. It is hard as a rock. I knead chunks at a time about halfway, then put them together. I can see how that brand would be trouble if it gets warm.

kger Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 3:20am
post #7 of 19

I got the top covered, but the sides just went all to pieces. It's [the remaining fondant] sitting in the fridge in crisco and cling wrap right now while I regroup and try to figure out what to do next. It may be tacky, but I'm going to try to piece these sides on.

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 3:49am
post #8 of 19

I just bought one today so I hope mine behaves...I need it for batman's cape! I have a 5lb bucket of black satin ice, but lately it's been awful looking once it dries.....cracking, elephant skin.....really dull looking. I bought the Duff specifically for this cake since I don't need it to harden up at all and I prefer the look of the finished product.

kseevers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kseevers Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 3:51am
post #9 of 19

I had that same problem with the Duff Black fondant. Did not like it at all! I followed the directions and it was way too soft for me too. I'm in WA so, and it's not really that humid, nor was it really hot. I almost thought it was the little bit of crisco I used to roll it out. I don't use much, but maybe it was too much for that brand.

kger Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 4:19am
post #10 of 19

Virginia is super humid and my house is 76 degrees. This seems to be way too hot for the Duff fondant. The side pieces rolled out much nicer than when I was working with the massive amount. Everything is so soft, it was a cinch to blend the seams on the cake, *but* everything is so soft, it is impossible to use the smoothers. So I have a huge lumpy mess. I hate to mess with a cake on D-day, especially with 2 tots underfoot and a 3 month old usually strapped to me, but I'll do what I must.

It's chilling in the fridge for now. I'll give it another 10 minutes and then I'll see if it's ready for smoothers. Otherwise I'll go to bed.

kseevers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kseevers Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 4:29am
post #11 of 19

I feel for you! I hope it chills enough. I am usually in your situation too. I have a 3 and 1 year old usually underfoot in my kitchen. Good luck!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 5:07am
post #12 of 19

Add cornstarch to it!

Black is very hard fondant to make: SI is too dry, Fondarific is fabulous for covering tiers but too soft for designs/figures, and yes, Duff's is pretty bad.

I make my own: MMF with a 9oz jar of black powdered food coloring and 1/2 jar of Wilton black (it's thicker than Americolor so does better in MMF).
It's still much more finicky than non-colored MMF, but I like it better than store bought.

frostinggalore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frostinggalore Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 10:51am
post #13 of 19

I too find Duff's too soft, I knead in a small chunk of Wilton's white into it. The black is dark enough to color the white and it makes it much easier to work with. Good Luck

BelaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BelaB Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 11:47am
post #14 of 19

I had the same issues so I mixed in some of my own MMF with the Duff black and it was perfect -- the black covered the white perfectly!

scp1127 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 4:35pm
post #15 of 19

Duff's and Fondarific are the same thing.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 4:41pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Duff's and Fondarific are the same thing.

I thought so because of the consistency. I must've had a bad batch because it wouldn't hold itself together - kept crumbling as soft as it was.

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 4:47pm
post #17 of 19

I was going to buy Duff's black fondant because when I make my own black MMF it turns your mouth purple/black. (I have to use so much coloring!) I am always so scared for someone to eat it, yeah, it usually gets peeled off but I don't want to take any chances. So does Duff's or any store bought fondant do this as well???

Now I'm scared to buy Duff's because of the OP's problem..

scp1127 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 4:51pm
post #18 of 19

MacsMom, I've had those problems, but have learned to work around them. This is the only brand I can get without shipping, so I have learned its little issues. For my next wedding, I am trying Massa thanks to so many CC recommendations. But Duff's?Fondarific will still be my basic everyday fondant.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 8:29pm
post #19 of 19

All deeply colored fondant is going to turn your mouth colors... homemade or not.

I like Fondex, but not the elite. I don't like the flavor of the elite with the hint of raspberry. The regular Fondex just tastes sweet. It's softer than Satin Ice but not so soft that it melts through your hands if you touch it too much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%