Cupcake Truck!?

Business By betty88 Updated 22 Oct 2012 , 1:03am by SweetnessBakeshop

cakecoachonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecoachonline Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 9:40am
post #31 of 38

Well USA cake bakers - in London UK the van (truck) craze has not hit here yet - or if it has I have not seen one or heard of any. I do get a couple of trucks on my twitter feed that they are on the corner in Chicago and other US cities - which I think is a brilliant idea, to tell your customers your time schedule. So come on UK - where are all our vans too?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 11:04am
post #32 of 38

You really don't want to bake cupcakes in the truck. The heat would be unbearable. Remember you're working in a big, hot "tin can." When the engine of the vehicle is turned off while you're parked, you have no air conditioning unless you have a separate unit on the roof, and at that point you're running on battery power which is precious.

www.LouisvilleDessertTruck.com

You can outfit a truck for less than $30K, but it depends on the truck and what equipment you need in it. I have a tiny fridge and small freezer, and racks. A catering/commissary kitchen is a must.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 11:49am
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

You can outfit a truck for less than $30K, but it depends on the truck and what equipment you need in it. I have a tiny fridge and small freezer, and racks. A catering/commissary kitchen is a must.

An expert has spoken. $30k is realistic. If people can't fund that kind of a business, it's better to put your energies into something within reach, such as starting a home-based low-overhead business. This may entail renting a commercial kitchen; not as exciting as driving around town in your food truck, but it's a way to start. Then grow your business from there.

And P.S. - Leah had many years of hard work growing her business before starting www.LouisvilleDessertTruck.com Congratulations, Leah!!

fsinger84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fsinger84 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 12:35am
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

You really don't want to bake cupcakes in the truck. The heat would be unbearable. Remember you're working in a big, hot "tin can." When the engine of the vehicle is turned off while you're parked, you have no air conditioning unless you have a separate unit on the roof, and at that point you're running on battery power which is precious.

www.LouisvilleDessertTruck.com

Leah! I had no idea you have a dessert truck! I am currently getting ready a dessert trailer and I was wondering how you keep everything cool? My trialer is smalllll and everything is prepaired in a commercial kitchen. I want to make sure things never melt but I am afraid opening and closing the serving window will make it hot in there. I currently have a AC window unitl but I am looking to get a roof unit installed to run on a generator. Any advice?

fsinger84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fsinger84 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 1:01am
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dar4657

On a recent visit to Chicago - I came across a very long line around one downtown block - when I got closer I discovered a van parked on the side of the road with a "window" open - selling cupcakes - I couldn't resist. I waited and discovered the van was filled with racks and racks of cupcakes. She had already sold out of several flavors. She was even set up to take credit cards. Cupcakes were not baked in this van. Check out: Flirtycupcakes.com

HTH

I love them, their salted caramel cupcake is amazing!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:15am
post #36 of 38

I have a small "dorm" fridge and a small chest freezer for ice cream. I haven't been out in the blazing heat of summer. The fridge is for things with choc coating.

Otherwise, cake slices, non-cream pie slices , cookies and brownies don't have to be refrigerated.

I'm just running a fan right now and leave the window open all the time I'm at an event.

diva_delites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diva_delites Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 1:12pm
post #37 of 38

Help!! I would love to know more about a cupcake/ cake van to sell out of. I just purchased a cargo van- 2500 Chevrolet. Going to wrap it but first want to cut a window. All comments welcomed. Thanks!

SweetnessBakeshop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetnessBakeshop Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 1:03am
post #38 of 38

We have a cupcake/dessert truck, we actually had two but the food truck scene died down a bit where we are located so we sold one of the trucks.

The space in the trucks are generally very tight, you CAN outfit your truck to bake out of it, however, we baked out of our bakery and supplied the trucks.

Our first truck we built ourselves and cost around $30k, our second truck we had built for us by a company that specializes in food trucks and cost between $55-60k. You run off a generator (hopefully a silent one if not your customers ears will be ringing) and propane, a 100lb tank of propane will last you around 8 hours or so depending on how much equipment you are powering. All in all it costs us around $300-$400 a day just to take the truck out. Keep in mind you still need to pull permits, have your truck inspected, etc. Your truck will go through the same scrutiny as opening a bakery.

I would avoid doing any cooking in the truck as the heat becomes unbearable even with an extractor and a roof mounted AC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%