Wood Tub With Grain

Decorating By Taunti Updated 20 Aug 2011 , 1:37am by ajwonka

Taunti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taunti Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 11

I have three questions hoping someone can help me with. I would like to make a tub that looks like an old fashion wooden tub for my friend who just had a baby. I have looked at several photos and cannot tell if each piece of wood is sliced and added on or if this is one piece with slice marks? Suggestions?
My next question is how do you get that grainy wood effect or knots in the wood or shall I say fondant icon_smile.gif
As for the water I have seen piping gel used which would have been my first choice but I then saw and read about some using something along the lines of candy wouldn't that get hard or over sticky? Suggestions
thanks

10 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 11

Used brown fondant with a wood grain impression mat and cut the strips to ressemble wood planks.You can darken the color by adding or rubbing liquid color on and wiping it off like polishing wood furniture..You can also airbrush darker brown to get the hues..

Use piping gel for water tinted blue...

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 11

Hi,
Here are my thoughts on your questions,

1. After seeing some of the cakes you talk about I think that each piece of wood is seperate and firmly "glued" in place, and to be honest i think seperate pieces would be easier.

2. For the texture of wood, mark the grain of the wood into the strips of fondant with a modelling tool or you could use a knife, but if you use a knife use the back of the knife so you don't cut into the fondant so much, you want to put on some good wood texture, straight lines, wave lines, and circle "knots" in the wood.

3. As for the water, stick with piping gel, I think sweets could get messy, and I think piping gel makes the best looking water!

Hope this helps, Good Luck! birthday.gif

momsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsgoodies Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 11

Hi!!!

I made a boy shower cake (you can check it in my photos). The wood tables/strips were made of white fondant and a little bit of tylose (you an use gumpaste too), which I tinted with brown (wilton line). Then using a toothpick a put some color in some areas, and rolled the fondant a little bit so the brown marks don''t blend at all. I used a little rolling pin to "make" the grain, but you can use the end of a toothpick to make it (this will take more time). You decide the width of the strips (tables). I cut the strips in different sizes (height). Let them dry overnight. Then buttercreamed the cake and put them one by one. For the water I used buttercream and the tip (I don't remember the number) that is used for cupcakes, or you can put the buttercream in a sandwich/freezer bag and cut one corner big enough to make the water "bubbles". HTH

Taunti Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 11

WOW thanks you guys are so informative. I am so excited to start this, I think I'm going to go 3 layers and fill each layer different icon_smile.gif
Then I'm going to use some ideas each of you gave to me , I think I will stick to the piping gel.

I thought about a checkers floor but I don't know how to get it all together with out seams if you know what I mean.
This is going to mean a lot to her I'm very excited! I can't wait thank you afor all the wonderful and helpful input icon_smile.gif

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 11

I took a class with Norman Davis and Zane Beg at an ICES DOS, where we made piggies in a bubble bath. When we did the tub, we rolled out a single rectangle of fondant that would go all the way around the cake, and was slightly higher than the edge (to hold in the bubbles!) We applied a wood grain to the rectangle, and scored each plank in on the rectangle with a needle tool, rather than cutting and applying each plank separately. We notched in or pushed in the fondant with the needle tool at the top and bottom of each plank to make them look like they were individual planks. This was a super easy way to do it. When I did a pirate ship cake, I did it plank by plank, and it definitely took longer than the method Norm & Zane taught. Both effects look nice.

Cakeopoly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeopoly Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 11:00pm
post #7 of 11

My first post! I just tried wood grain on fondant for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It couldn't be easier, I learned so much reading through this forum before I tried it. Hopefully you can see the wood grain in the image below, I apologize if the picture is too big:

You would have to imagine this tipped on it's side for a barrel, but I just drew straight lines in the fondant for the planks with a knife, and then used a skewer to quickly and randomly sketch lines along the planks for the grain.

This was done on white fondant. After I had textured the surface, I just painted the fondant with brown gel colorant that was thinned with vanilla extract until I had the desired result. It was quite easy considering how effective it was. Good luck!

Cakeopoly Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 11:04pm
post #8 of 11

Oh goodness, that picture is HUGE! Can anyone tell me how I could make it smaller? Thanks icon_smile.gif

Taunti Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 4:38am
post #9 of 11

Cakeopoly, I love this it gives me additional ideas on coloring and I love the vanilla idea. Very cute cake indeed icon_smile.gif

Ladies again thank you so many great ideas, Just got my fondant and will start tomorrow.
Funny how a lady mentioned a Piggie in a bath because I thought of doing that fora local competition, we'll see I have time icon_smile.gif

Sill looking for ideas on how to do a checked floor?

Cakeopoly Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 2:40am
post #10 of 11

Hope I am not too late, I have been thinking about the checkered floor and I would be tempted just to score the fondant lightly into squares and paint the checkers black (thin some black gel color with vanilla extract).

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 1:37am
post #11 of 11

I bought a Martha Stewart's faux wood graining roller at home depot. Dipped it in brown color mixed with vodka and rolled it on brown fondant that had been drying overnight. Looked totally realistic and took seriously 5 minutes! Hth!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%