Marble Cakes

Baking By Gerle Updated 10 Aug 2011 , 2:25am by elizaBakes

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, I'm stumped. I've never made a marble cake, and wasn't too impressed with what I found on the internet. I googled here on CC on my laptop, and found several listed. I came to my desktop computer as I can't print from my laptop, and all I keep getting from the recipe section from my desktop is for a fondant something or other, and a marble crumb cake. I saw from my laptop a peanut butter marble cake, a lemon marble cake, and a chocolate/vanilla marble cake. Can someone help me? I need to make a marble cake for my niece's birthday. Would prefer scratch, but if not, that's okay, too. I appreciate everyone's input.

5 replies
Gerle Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 6

I guess I should also say I'm not looking for one that is in a bundt pan. I want to be able to make a layer cake and decorate it. Thanks again for any recipes you can provide me with.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 6

If you have a scratch white or yellow recipe you use then make it up and before you pour it in the pans remove about 1 1/2 cups of you batter and set it aside. Melt some squares of semisweet chocolate, cool and pour into the batter you set aside. Mix it well and put it into the batter in the pans and swirl. I usually melt 2 squares and let them cool about midway through my cake recipe. The amount you set aside would of course need to correlate with the amount of batter you are using. If you double the recipe then take maybe 2 cups out and use it with the chocolate in it.
evelyn

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 6

I had a friend request a marble birthday cake and had never made one. I have the Martha Stewart Wedding cake book and it had a recipe for marble cake. Then I checked her site and that one had slightly different quantities...more like double batch (wedding cake) / single batch (birthdays), but the technique and proportions were the same. I tested both and they were very good.

Gerle Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 2:09am
post #5 of 6

Thank you both for your responses. I'll be trying my first marble cake very soon.

elizaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizaBakes Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 2:25am
post #6 of 6

What I have done in the past is use a plain white/yellow cake and a chocolate cake (my go to is Hersheys chocolate cake from the back of the cocoa container). I then pour one batter into the mold (say yellow) and then pour the other batter(chocolate) into the yellow in several different spots. Take a knife or tooth pick and swirl the batters together..don't mix them just simple swirls. This will give you a marble effect.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%