Need Cheaper Cake Boards!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 8 Aug 2011 , 10:44pm by step0nmi

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 24

As many of you may do...I make my own cake boards from the 1/2" foam core from Hobby Lobby. Cut them all myself and wrap/cover them. This week i realized they went up a whole dollar! icon_surprised.gif I can't do this anymore icon_cry.gif takes so much time, money, my back hurts from all that extra work.

Is there a better way!??

23 replies
TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 24

If you have a Dollar Tree go there!!!!!!!! Thats where I get mine and they are always ONE DOLLAR...can't beat it!

Can't help you with your back...sorry! icon_smile.gif

GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 24

Seriously??? A dollar for 1/2-inch foamcore?!?!?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 24

I just order the multi packs of cardboard circles. the most work i do is opening the package.

LorienSkye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LorienSkye Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 24

Re: foamcore boards at the dollar store, they are not 1/2 in. I believe they are 1/4, but still cheap to double up at only $1 a board. I also buy 1/4 inch hardboard from the lumber section at my local home improvement store. It comes in a 4 foot by 8 foot sheet for $12.99. Depending on size, I can usually get 20 good size boards and they are very sturdy.My hubby cuts mine to the sizes I need but I hear they will do it for you at the store for no extra cost thumbs_up.gif
Edited to change typo!

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

As many of you may do...I make my own cake boards from the 1/2" foam core from Hobby Lobby. Cut them all myself and wrap/cover them. This week i realized they went up a whole dollar! icon_surprised.gif I can't do this anymore icon_cry.gif takes so much time, money, my back hurts from all that extra work.

Is there a better way!??

Do you use this under each tier too?

I buy regular cake boards in bulk at my wholesaler...I can't imagine cutting boards for every single cake. No wonder your back hurts. lol

BlueMoon73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueMoon73 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 24

Yep the Dollar Tree is where I get mine too, they even have black sometimes.

Nazarine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nazarine Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 12:52am
post #8 of 24

I buy mine at Hobby Lobby. Just this week, they were 50% off so I grabbed a bunch of them.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 1:08am
post #9 of 24

Hubby and I found a supplier here in my city which carries the heavy 1/2 inch honey combed cardboard sheets.The come in 4x2 sheets and hubby cuts them down to size with his table saw.I buy a pallet...yup a full pallet at about $400.00 but it lasts me about 2 years.Best boards..They are strong and hold very heavy cakes....I cut circles of all sizes and big boards for custom slabs.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 1:35am
post #10 of 24

Yes, use cardboard cake circles or cake drums if you want height. Pre-cut, can get in bulk through a wholeseller and there's no headache.

Now, if you are cake sculpting I understand using foam core, but for just tiered cakes? You don't need it.

Jen

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 1:37am
post #11 of 24

I buy the foam boards at Dollar Tree too. I hot glue two circles together. I just bought a circle drywall cutter at Home Depot for $9 after seeing someone on here mention using it. It doesn't cut all the way through the foam board but you can just flip it over and use it on the other side and you can just pop out the circle. Sooo much easier than trying to cut circles with scissors or a razor blade. Here's a link to the drywall cutter:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100377278&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&cm_sp=BazVoice-_-RLP-_-100377278-_-x&locStoreNum=159

step0nmi Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 3:45am
post #12 of 24

ok, no i don't use the 1/2" foam core for all of my tiers...I use it for the bottom, for presentation. I like the look of making each cake look very elegant and match the theme of the cake...so i guess that even adds the expense of ribbon :p

there is no way I'm doing the thin foam core from my dollar store...sooo not sturdy enough for me icon_sad.gif

leah, i believe you have a higher volume and can do the added expense for your cakes. But for me to just buy a package online is a no go, too expensive that way for my 2 cakes a month.

also, i use to be able to justify the expense of the foam core because i would get multiple rounds or squares out of it...doesn't seem like such a good expense anymore

kiddicakes, the cardboard sheets i may have to look into! but then i'm not sure what size rounds or squares i'm going to need for the month...darn

step0nmi Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 3:47am
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeCakesbyMichelle

I buy the foam boards at Dollar Tree too. I hot glue two circles together. I just bought a circle drywall cutter at Home Depot for $9 after seeing someone on here mention using it. It doesn't cut all the way through the foam board but you can just flip it over and use it on the other side and you can just pop out the circle. Sooo much easier than trying to cut circles with scissors or a razor blade. Here's a link to the drywall cutter:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100377278&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&cm_sp=BazVoice-_-RLP-_-100377278-_-x&locStoreNum=159

OOOOOOoooo icon_lol.gif Now that's a tool i might need to invest in! thanks icon_biggrin.gif

RobinO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobinO Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 4:09am
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeCakesbyMichelle

So excited about checking this out too!!! icon_biggrin.gif

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 5:29am
post #15 of 24

I too purchase my foam core board from Dollar Tree. They are 1/4 inch boards but using the drywall cutter sound like ideal for saving time trying to get more than one board to be evenly cut out. If you are a person purchasing these from Dollar Tree often and in the masses, you can actually order from their website dollartree direct. I had to use their online services when I was ordering prizes for the kids I use to work with.

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 6:09am
post #16 of 24

I use the Dollar Tree foam boards too! For a heavier cake, two or three tiers, I usually cut about 5 or 6 circles and glue them together. I can get three 12" circles from one board. So for a 12" cake board that is 6 layers thick, I only need 2 foam boards. CAn't go wrong for $2!

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 1:05pm
post #18 of 24

My hubby cuts them 18-1/2 x 13-1/2 to fit my 19x14 boxes.We leave quite a few blank sheet so I can cut custom size rounds and squares.Works well...never run out of cardboard...

step0nmi Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 2:44pm
post #19 of 24

Kiddiekakes, i use to have my husband cut my rounds....NOT anymore icon_lol.gif he didn't do smooth edges for some reason, he did the "cut away at the circle method. learned my lesson real fast icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 3:09pm
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I just order the multi packs of cardboard circles. the most work i do is opening the package.

Laughing my butt of at this Leah! I too think that is the most work I would like to do on some of the bases but alas, sometimes I need to make others. I buy the foamboard when Michaels has them on sale but, use the dollar store ones when they aren't. Thanks to everyone that inputs their opinions and all the help every person gives.
evelyn

K1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
K1976 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 3:15pm
post #21 of 24

"My hubby cuts them 18-1/2 x 13-1/2 to fit my 19x14 boxes."
Kiddikakes- Are these boxes you collect from stores? , and if so how do you cover them so they don't come into direct contact with the cake?

TIA!

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 3:18pm
post #22 of 24

If you buy anything in large boxes or do any ordering online.....save the boxes!! Anytime I have anything in a decent size cardboard box, I cut it apart and stick with all my boards and boxes. You need to stack 2 or more pieces together to get a good strenth/thickness, and cover them, of course...... but it's free!

K1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
K1976 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 3:26pm
post #23 of 24

Found answer on older posts. Press n Seal.

step0nmi Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 10:44pm
post #24 of 24

thanks everyone for the tips and ideas...i guess everyone has their way on what they want to use for their bottom boards and cake separators. I'm going to have to do some research on what's best for me icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%